QT 6 MPEG-2 Playback - Mac OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by barren, Jul 17, 2002.

1. barren macrumors newbie

Didn't see this listed anywhere else. Just an FYI. It is listed in the Apple Store for Education but not on the regular site.

The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component provides QuickTime 6 users with the ability to import and play back MPEG-2 content, including both muxed (the audio and video tracks have are interlaced together into one track) and non-muxed (a.k.a. elementary) program streams. It is perfectly suited for professional and semi-professional content creators with projects such as:
    · Professional content production -- Throughout the professional content production process, many approvals and progress checks are necessary. With QuickTime 6 and the QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component, your clients and reviewers can view your MPEG-2 streams on either a Mac or Windows-based PC, and provide feedback.
    · Transcoding content -- Now all your elementary MPEG-2 program streams can be imported into QuickTime Pro and exported to other formats such as MPEG-4, the new international standard for Internet media, QuickTime Movie, or DV Stream, to name a few. By transcoding your MPEG-2 content into other formats, it can be used in new forums, such as on the web, on CD-ROM, or on DV tape.
    What it doesn't do
    The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component provides the ability to play back MPEG-2 program streams, but it does not play back these types of media:
    · Encrypted DVDs -- Professionally produced, commercial DVDs (such as Hollywood movies) are often encrypted with special anti-piracy software, called Content Scramble System (CSS). In order to view these DVDs, decryption software is required and is included in DVD players. But decryption software is not included in QuickTime or the QuickTime 6 MPEG-2Playback Component.
    · Transport streams -- The MPEG-2 specification defines two forms of data streams, program streams and transport streams. Each is optimized for a different set of applications and environments. The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component will play back program streams, which combine audio and video streams that share a common timeline and are suited for applications with software processing. Playback of transport streams, which combine audio and video with independent time bases for environments where errors are likely, is not supported. Requirements for Mac OS X:· QuickTime 6 or QuickTime 6 Pro · 500MHz G4 processor-based computer or faster · 128MB of RAM or more · Mac OS X, v10.1.3 or later
    Note: This version will not run on Mac OS 9.x. Please click here for information about the MPEG-2 Playback Component for Mac OS 9 .

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: QT 6 MPEG-2 Playback - Mac OS X

Hmm.... oops? :D I installed it on my 400MHz G4 and it works just fine. The keynote played flawlessly. Quicktime's been slow on my comp forever, I doubt this could be much worse!

3. atomwork macrumors regular

Disk Full

I just dl Quick time 6 and if i want to save a movie it says now "can't save file...may be disk is full"\

yeah right, if he would know. I have at least 140GB free.

So what can it be? Anyone?

4. barren thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to say that this is a $20 upgrade to the regular QT6, expanding it by adding mpeg2 playback, something NOT included (Mpeg2 is dvd format isn't it?)

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ohhhhh! I thought these were the specs for QT6. Serves me right, I should have read more carefully. D'oh!

Kinda sucks it's not included in the $30 we already pay to upgrade from 5 Pro to 6 Pro, but then again I'm not terribly surprised. :rolleyes: