QT 7 and iTunes 6 refuse to work!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2A Batterie, Oct 17, 2005.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I downloaded iTunes 6 a few days ago and it has worked fine. I just downloaded QT 7, and now iTunes and QT do not open. They both have the arrow under their icon on the dock, but they do not open. I repaired disk permissions and trashed preferances, yet I still can't get either to start. I'm running 10.3.9. Please help!

2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Are you using quicktime 7.0.3? iTunes cannot work without that.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Which preference files did you delete? All of them?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sorry, but that's wrong. Some features won't work without 7.0.3, but it'll still run.

5. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I think it may have something to do with my DIGI002 (audio recording interface). I have my audio running through the 002. When I don't have iTunes and QT in my core audio (digidesign term) supported apps, they run fine. I believe I have to update ProTools now. In the meantime I am trying to unistall QT7 by going back to 6.52 via Apple's website. Also, my Mail app all of a sudden needs all of my info and when I type it in, it says the server is invalid! I know it is valid, because I went online and checked myself. I must have trashed mail mail prefs. This has been one frustrating day!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

QuickTime is too heavily embedded in the system to be able to simply go back to 6.5. Personally, I wouldn't try to do it because it'll most likely do more harm than good. Sorry. :eek:

Maybe try resetting PRAM/NVRAM. :)

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Too lazy to find them, but Apple has instructions for rolling back to 6.5 from 7. I had to do it once because I didn't want to pay the pro license and someone in my family upgraded to 7 from 6.5 Pro on my Power Mac, which broke some stuff in the Production Suite. Anyway, following Apple's instructions, I went back to 6.5.2 and had zero problems. (I've recently upgraded that machine to 7 pro, but it worked fine with 6.5 for months).

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're right. I stand corrected. :eek:

9. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Attached Files:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I have 7.03 now, and that link is for 7.02 to roll back to 7.01. Alas, I'll try it anyone, and get some asprin for this headache while it downloads.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I kinda guessed you'd have 7.0.3 but I couldn't find a link or any info on rolling it back so I was really hoping you had 7.0.2. :(

Do you have any third party apps that modify QuickTime? I know it's a pretty vague question, but there's been a similar problem on Windows and it seems to relate to a codec pack (K-Lite to be specific). Of course, this is for Windows so it may not necessarily be related.

13. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I have ProTools, which is seeming to be part of the problem. I'm using 6.4, but I think I need to download the drivers for... at least that's what someone said on PT's support site. I'll give that a whirl.