QT MPEG-2 does NOT play SVCDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elmimmo, Jul 23, 2002.

1. elmimmo macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2002
    More ramblings on the crappy Quicktime MPEG-2 playback affair.

I just got hold of a "shareware" copy of the component for X ;-) and oh what a surprise, crappy Apple could not make it playback SVCDs. I guess the crappy CD filing system Mac OS has always had are to blame. VCDs and SVCD have 1 session with 2 tracks, and the data is always held in the 2nd data. That seems to drive the Finder nuts (both in 9 and X) and become impossible for it to either drag any file to the Desktop or let other applications not prepared to take SVCD's special structure into account open them. What a surprise that Windows software NOT aware of that can play those perfectly.

I just tried with 1 SVCD, but it happens to play perfectly with the VLC client (http://www.videolan.org) and with the standalone DVD player hooked to the TV, so I do not think it might work with others.

And I guess, then, the problem will be the same in Mac OS 9's version of the Quicktime MPEG-2 playback component (anyone?), which was the only hope for those users to play SVCDs.

Straight to the bin.
  2. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    svcd's are mpeg1. mpeg2 qt plug-in is for mpeg2.
  3. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    Re: QT MPEG-2 does NOT play SVCDs

Ah, so let me get this straight... you're not happy with a pirated software component because it can't do something it was never intended to be able to do?

I don't think you'll get much sympathy here.

I have the MPEG2 component and it plays MPEG2 files just fine... I'm very happy with it.
  4. elmimmo thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2002
    svcd ARE mpeg-2. It is VCDs which are MPEG-1.

Thanks for the kind advice Beej. However I feel that it is quite better that I tried it first before throwing my money away. I know it plays MPEG2, but not from a SVCD, which is the only thing I wanted it for. What it was intended and not intended for I am not so sure. SVCD are fully legacy MPEG2 (however, I agree it seems to have nothing to do with the MPEG2 in the SVCD, but by the fact that the Finder does not know how to deal with this sort of discs)

BTW, there seems to be quite more guys authoring DVDs than I have thought.