QT,VLC etc to DV camcorder (and onto tv)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aussiemac86, Aug 17, 2005.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2004
    the land of OZ
    I have recently been watching TV on my computer (via an antenna cable->VCR->DV camera->"vidi" software. What i now want to do is do it the other way, ie watch quictime stuff on my VCR/TV, so i need to get a live stream of QT etc onto my DV camera.

any suggestions?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    There was at one point a demonstration QuickTime app that would do this; live-convert any video source to a dv stream and send it to the firewire port for display on a camera or external source. Sadly, it caused panics even when it was new and is totally dead now, so there aren't any cost-free options that I'm aware of.

Personally, I have an ATI video card that supports two displays, and I bought Apple's little $20 dongle for converting the DVI out to an S-Video signal so I just have my TV set up as a seperate display and I can put anything at all over there to watch it on the big tube if I want--Real Media, QT Movies, iMovie previews, even the DVD player (which I've used on a couple of damaged discs that the Mac would read but my DVD player wouldn't).

Another option is to use iMovie or QT Pro to convert the video to a .dv file, then use iMovie to play it, but this is time and hard drive space consuming, and certainly isn't a "live" solution. Some of the DVR-type boxes that are meant for time-delaying TV may also do this, but they're going to cost you some money to get started.