QT,VLC etc to DV camcorder (and onto tv)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aussiemac86, Aug 17, 2005.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I have recently been watching TV on my computer (via an antenna cable->VCR->DV camera->"vidi" software. What i now want to do is do it the other way, ie watch quictime stuff on my VCR/TV, so i need to get a live stream of QT etc onto my DV camera.

any suggestions?

cheers

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

There was at one point a demonstration QuickTime app that would do this; live-convert any video source to a dv stream and send it to the firewire port for display on a camera or external source. Sadly, it caused panics even when it was new and is totally dead now, so there aren't any cost-free options that I'm aware of.

Personally, I have an ATI video card that supports two displays, and I bought Apple's little $20 dongle for converting the DVI out to an S-Video signal so I just have my TV set up as a seperate display and I can put anything at all over there to watch it on the big tube if I want--Real Media, QT Movies, iMovie previews, even the DVD player (which I've used on a couple of damaged discs that the Mac would read but my DVD player wouldn't).

Another option is to use iMovie or QT Pro to convert the video to a .dv file, then use iMovie to play it, but this is time and hard drive space consuming, and certainly isn't a "live" solution. Some of the DVR-type boxes that are meant for time-delaying TV may also do this, but they're going to cost you some money to get started.