QT will not open mpg's I download

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xFU3Lx, Mar 17, 2006.

1. xFU3Lx macrumors member

It says "it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)"

VLC won't do it either. But VLC gets sound, but no picture. Quicktime gets nothing. Whats wrong here?:confused:

Edit: forgot to mention its a .mpg file

2. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

one of two things...first, do you have flip4mac installed and if so, i'm assuming you're using QT to watch wmv files. flip4mac and VLC cannot translate WMV9 files, so you're out of luck. other wmv files should be okay.

if not the above, you might be trying to watch an AVI file for which you do not have the proper plug-in. can you give us more info on the file you're trying to watch?

3. xFU3Lx thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I have flip4mac installed. Its just a music video I downloaded a bit ago. I downloaded a few others, and they're doing the same thing. The file extension is labeled as a .mpg

When I go to get info, it says nothing under more info, whereas other files show codecs and dimensions and whatnot. Whats going oooon!:mad:

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

QuickTime will usually only open MPEG-1 and MPEG-4, not MPEG-2. Most music videos are in 1 or 2, both of which should work in VLC. It's possible that the file has the wrong extension, try renaming it to .avi and see what happens (remember to rename it back if it doesn't work).

5. mac.FINN macrumors member

Something that's worked for me in the past is to change the extension to .wmv. Often times it works; if not, just change it back - no harm no foul.

:D

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Actually Flip4Mac handles WMV9 files just fine. VLC cannot handle WMV9

7. xFU3Lx thread starter macrumors member

Amazing. That worked.:)

8. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

oops, you're right. i meant to say "WMV3" files. neither F4M nor VLC can play these files (stupid M$!)

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Again, you make mistake. Flip4Mac does indeed support "WMV3."