Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I upgraded both my Powerbook and my Powermac to Tiger w/ QT7. Now, neither of them will play content off of my Xserve streaming server. In addition to that, new content that I publish using Quicktime 7 and QT Publisher will not play on a Windows machine with QT6. My case has been filed with Apple, and they escalated it to engineers. Still, this SUCKS. This is a major bug.

I was going to upgrade my Xserve to Tiger next week, but forget about it. I'll wait until I'm sure everything is going to work the way it should. In the meantime, I'm probably going to "downgrade" my two machines to Panther.

Very disappointed, Apple.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MattG said:
I upgraded both my Powerbook and my Powermac to Tiger w/ QT7. Now, neither of them will play content off of my Xserve streaming server. In addition to that, new content that I publish using Quicktime 7 and QT Publisher will not play on a Windows machine with QT6. My case has been filed with Apple, and they escalated it to engineers. Still, this SUCKS. This is a major bug.

I was going to upgrade my Xserve to Tiger next week, but forget about it. I'll wait until I'm sure everything is going to work the way it should. In the meantime, I'm probably going to "downgrade" my two machines to Panther.

Very disappointed, Apple.
My first guess is that QT7 is defaulting to a movie format that QT6 doesn't understand. I'd check this first before continuing with the bug report.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I posted in another thread, but this might be better to get answers

QT7 and Tiger was just fine for me until last night. No matter how many times I restart the computer nothing helps Quicktime. When it comes to playing MPEG's using the QT Player, it will start playing with no volume and then it will just stall after about 8-9 seconds of playtime and then it just makes my fans rev up on the computer. I can move the playhead around and it will start playing again but with no volume, then after a few seconds just stall again. It worked great for the first few days and just started having problems. Now I have to use VLC to play Quicktime files. Everything in Quicktime still works fine with the Safari plug-in however. Streams are fine, but not playing MPEG files. Anyone seen this or have any idea what is going on??? Oh yeah one other thing....when quicktime 7 stalls the playhead still moves but the picture freezes...and my CPU usage goes to 80-90% and is stuck there....AAAARRRGGHH! I hate you right now Apple! Crappy old Windows Media Player for Mac works better then your player now.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
wrldwzrd89 said:
My first guess is that QT7 is defaulting to a movie format that QT6 doesn't understand. I'd check this first before continuing with the bug report.
The tech was able to reproduce the problem on his end, using the sample movies that come with QTSS.

The thing is, content that I produced using OS 10.3.x and QT6 will not play with QT7. I think it's a Quicktime issue, although the guy I spoke to at Apple seems to think it's an issue with OS 10.3.9 and above. All I know is, I'm going to stick with Panther for a while now.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Abercrombieboy said:
AAAARRRGGHH! I hate you right now Apple! Crappy old Windows Media Player for Mac works better then your player now.

Yeah, because what happened is Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller snuck into your house in the middle of the night and hacked your computer so QT7 wouldn't work on purpose, knowing that nothing could make you happier.

Try fixing permissions and the like rather than blaming Apple for a single isolated software problem.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Abercrombieboy said:
QT7 and Tiger was just fine for me until last night. No matter how many times I restart the computer nothing helps Quicktime. When it comes to playing MPEG's using the QT Player, it will start playing with no volume and then it will just stall after about 8-9 seconds of playtime and then it just makes my fans rev up on the computer. I can move the playhead around and it will start playing again but with no volume, then after a few seconds just stall again. It worked great for the first few days and just started having problems. Now I have to use VLC to play Quicktime files. Everything in Quicktime still works fine with the Safari plug-in however. Streams are fine, but not playing MPEG files. Anyone seen this or have any idea what is going on??? Oh yeah one other thing....when quicktime 7 stalls the playhead still moves but the picture freezes...and my CPU usage goes to 80-90% and is stuck there....AAAARRRGGHH! I hate you right now Apple! Crappy old Windows Media Player for Mac works better then your player now.
I had this same problem with QT6 and Panther. It did it with MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless files also. I haven't experienced it yet in QT7 on Tiger though.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Abercrombieboy said:

When I try to play streams, I get perfect audio, but no video. Just a blank, white space where the video should be.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
J@ffa said:
Yeah, because what happened is Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller snuck into your house in the middle of the night and hacked your computer so QT7 wouldn't work on purpose, knowing that nothing could make you happier.

Try fixing permissions and the like rather than blaming Apple for a single isolated software problem.

Maybe they did?!?!? I already fixed permissions. Close to dumping the whole HD and starting over. I thought maybe I could just dump Quicktime player and download again, but when I open the Quicktime 7 install it tells me it is only for 10.3.9.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
J@ffa said:

A little bit harsh methinks. I get the feeling he knows his way around a Mac and the associated apps. Sure bugs happen but this seems a little more serious than 'a small fly in the ointment'. Almost akin to buying a car without a steering wheel. Good manners cost nothing. :)

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Abercrombieboy said:

Something kind of like this happened to me. I was getting video with no audio. I didn't see the CPU usage though. My problem was a corrupt pref file (or just a incompatible pref file from QT6). I just did a search for Quicktime and got rid of all preference stuff. It started working again. Have you happened to try that? It may help.

Jim

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
QT7 was working fine for me for a few days as well. But last night it wouldn't play any quicktime movies off the web, I just got a strange darkened quicktime logo with a question mark over it.

Oh well! I'm back to 6.5.2 and at least now things are working like they used to.

I hope Apple irons out the bugs.

(I'm running 10.3.9)

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
jim. said:
Something kind of like this happened to me. I was getting video with no audio. I didn't see the CPU usage though. My problem was a corrupt pref file (or just a incompatible pref file from QT6). I just did a search for Quicktime and got rid of all preference stuff. It started working again. Have you happened to try that? It may help.

Jim

Hey thanks Jim. I will give it a try. I can use Spotlight for that search as well...haha...thanks and I will let you know if it works.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well I tried that as well, but no go. It still won't play MPEG's. I guess I will live just using VLC for now and maybe one of these days when I am so bored I will do the dreaded clean install and start over.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Had that problem with QT6 ALL the time. Just trash the prefs, (and trash Safari's prefs too), and it'll work again... for a while anyway. I can see no pattern in it. It's been a part of my life since QT6 came out. :rolleyes:

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
J@ffa said:

Lighten up... No one likes having issues like this, and it's not a "single isolated software issue" as you claim. So far Tiger has had it's fair share of bugs that have been experienced by many. Nothing earth shattering, but annoying none the less- just ask all the video chat addicts who can't use iChat 3. This stuff should work, it doesn't, that's Apples fault. People should complain when it doesn't work right. If we were happy with a buggy OS we'd be on another platform, it's not too much to ask.

HGW

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
H.264

Am finding that to encode stuff in default H.264 takes far too long. 1 minute of vob footage = 15 minutes of encoding, have i a right to complain?

iMac G5 1.8
512mb

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
HGW said:
Am finding that to encode stuff in default H.264 takes far too long. 1 minute of vob footage = 15 minutes of encoding, have i a right to complain?

iMac G5 1.8
512mb
I'm not sure, actually. Just look at the requirements for 4-way video chats in iChat...this is mostly due to how CPU-intensive H.264 encoding and decoding is. H.264 is a great and powerful codec, but with that power comes staggering requirements for real-time encoding. Very few Macs have reached that point - yours SHOULD be one of them.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
jim. said:

Jim

Whew! Thank God it wasn't me!

My issue was intermeiitent...I had a couple of .mov files that would play video but no audio. I had exported them to MPEG-4 under QT 6 Pro (and they played fine in QT 7 Pro), so I know it wasn't the file (not to mention I played them on my Panther PowerMac just fine.)

In addition, if you try to imbed a movie in Adobe Acrobat, you will either get "There are no media handlers. Please install medi handlers." or "The media requires an additional player. Please click Get Media Player to download correct media player" (depending on how the PDF was generated).

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
J@ffa said:

Hey dude, I was not going to respond at all, because I usually don't waste my time on people that try to make me look dumb as a brick, but I am not dumb nor do I think I have a problem complaining. Since Feb 2004 I bought a Powerbook, and eMac for my Parents and an iMac G5. Plus I owned an iBook and an iMac DV G3 before these machines. I know all about Apple's and I think they do a GREAT job. But when something works as poorly as my Quicktime does right now it makes me think more of my time working on my buddy's POS Packard Hell PC with Windows 98 in college then a brand new Apple program. That is all. I will get it fixed. I tried everything I was told to try and it did not work for me, but that is life. Either I will wait and use VPC for MPEG files until an update for QT7 comes out or I will dumb the HD and reinstall. Anyhow thanks to everyone that gave me help and advice. To those who made rude comments. That is ok dude, I got a laugh out of it even if it was at my expense.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I tried everything...

and finally I said the heck with it and did a clean install of everything. A few hours later everything now works well and I am just finishing the last of putting all my personal data, music, photos, etc, back on the HD from DVD's. It works great now. I hope it doesn't go looney on me again!!! I only did an update when I went to Tiger and lots of people recommended a clean install so that is what I ended up doing. I even reinstalled Office 2004 and iLife '05. It is fresh. So hopefully the problems will stay away. My Powerbook was just an update and it seems fine. Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.