Quad core anybody?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Carguy172, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

2. rstorm macrumors regular

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wow the FX-62 is really slow... it got last in nearly all the tests! I never liked AMD, and probably wont unless they release something that can close at all to Intels new chips.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The Mac Pro did a lot better than the Quad Core C2D in many of the tests. If anything it will get Clovertown...

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Kentsfield not Clovertown.

6. Carguy172 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but this means that intel will likely make a quad core xeon processor then we will have the octo-core Mac Pro

7. wallock, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Clovertown IS Quad Core.
    Which suggests there will be an eight core Mac Pro soonish (MWSF2007 is my bet, but earlier would be nice) but we already knew that.

Still hanging out for thin chance Apple releases something with a Kentsfield in it. Conversely, I would guess there is a very slim chance Apple WON'T put Clovertown in new revisions of Mac Pro.

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So what would be more future proof and upgradable ideal? That Apple put these new quadcore C2D in the mac pro (thus revising it's hardware I guess) or just sticks with going down the same hardware road and putting Cloverton in the mac pro later?

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If this is a sarcastic question, which it certainly sounds like, I don't understand your logic. Clovertown is to Kentsfield how Woodcrest is to Conroe. You can't do 8-core with Kentsfield.

If it's a serious question, then Clovertown is the better option, as firstly it will have two CPU sockets, versus one for Kentsfield, and will have twice the cores. It also seems silly for Apple to "de-rate" the Mac Pro to one CPU socket, when it will inevitably be increased to 4 sockets in a year or two for 16-core quad Tigertons.

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

This would be a perfect candidate for the headless Mac on the way... ;)

12. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Don't make me cry...
    Quad 2.66Ghz Kentsfield and a Geforce 8800GTS would be very nice...
    ...But no doubt never going to happen. :(

(PS I've lost hope completely that Apple will ever use such a high performance GPU as the 8800GTX, considering their present and past use of GPUs over their entire line. Note lack of Geforce 7950 GX2 from Mac Pro BTO page)

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It was the ladder. I was somewhat confused about what technically is defined as core 2 duo (merom, conroe, woodcrest) and what is not (Xeon, although still uses the microarchitecture.) After reading up a bit on it on wiki and with your input, I think it answered my question :)

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Glad to help. Can anybody either tell me the socket compatibility of future Intel updates or point me in the direction of a good website? If Apple do release a Conroe box, will it be CPU upgradeable in the future, and for how long if it's known at this stage? I think we determined that Conroe could be replaced with Kentsfield?

15. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

ATM, I don't really care about ATI. Yes, their R600 GPU will probably blow G80 completely out of the water, but just look at their TDPs!

I'm pretty sure Geforce 8800 has a TDP of about 140, which seems pretty normal. What's R600 looking to be? Like 250W!!! It seems unbelievable to me, especially with their new partenership with AMD, who try and make energy efficient chips like Intel, that they would go and make a single GPU that would blow off more heat than a pair of Clovertowns (Guessing that Clovertown and Kentsfield will have similar TDPs). This is the single reason why at the moment I like NVIDIA more than ATI.

Here's to high performance GPUs with TDPs under 100W in the near future!

16. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Let the "Waiting for Quad Core MB/MBPs" Threads begin!

17. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

They might be waiting for a very long time. One thing I do remember from Intel's planned future releases of chips is a lack of quad core mobile CPUs.

So unless we get a "Macyclopedia Pro" that is 3 inches thick, and contains a Kentsfield, no Quad Core MBP's for, well, years. This could cause these threads to become a tad tiresome.

Now Quad Core Cubes on the other hand... :cool:
    Can you say...
    ..."Waiting for Cube II"? :D :p

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A Cube II..... ***drool*** :D :cool:

19. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It'll only be replaceable with Kentsfield (as far as I know), after that any better desktop chips will not be compatible as they will be on a 45nm process as opposed to the 64nm of the current core 2 duo.

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Hmmm... I wonder how immensely painful it would be to take my cube, rip everything out of it, and...

...Replace it with the innards of a Mac Mini? (With the CPU replaced with a 2.33 Merom, and a decent GPU (somehow) shoved in)

That would be cool. However I think It would be easier to just detonate a stick of dynamite under my cube. No doubt the end result would be the same.

It's kind of amazing how many people here seem to want a new Cube...

Yep, Kentsfield plus Geforce 8800. And a full size freezer unit. Sounds like fun! : )

I have read this. I was hoping for what sockets (and possible clock speeds) these processors are likely to be. On second thoughts this info probably isn't available.

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That would be next to impossible the graphics chip is soldered on to the logic board and there are not expansion ports to add a video card. :eek:

Give the dynamite a try, you might have better luck. :p ;) :D :)

22. dusanv macrumors 6502

No way. Where are you getting that from? Mac Pro has the slow FB DDR2. No way it's going to be faster than a quad core Kentsfield with plain DDR2.

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Sorry about that, when I said clovertown I pictured kentsfield in my head, I just got the names mixed up.