Quad Cores

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jessep28, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

2. wchong macrumors 6502

it doesn't become obsolete.

but this is the only downside with intel. you get a chip update every 3 months.
    i wouldn't be surprised to see a core 2 quadro on iMacs sometime early next year.

i wouldn't expect it to make its way into the MB or MBP b/c of heat issues. who knows, maybe with the 45nm design the consumer won't have to worry about a lower sperm count while they use it on their lap.

3. wchong macrumors 6502

4. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I agree. Intel is rushing too fast to release these chips. It's making people frustrated as to 'what is the best of the best' since their chips can be obsolete in a short amount time. I hope this is a short-term issue since I can understand Intel's efforts in attempting to regain it's lost ground against AMD. Core 2 Quad on iMacs can be a possibility for Q1 2007 but those power hungry (they're always released first) processors won't going into laptops. Thus Intel hasn't given us a lot of info regarding mobile quad core processors.

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I'm definitely buying the moment Apple releases a dual quad-core Mac Pro. My dual G5 is feeling lethargic now that its tasked with rendering dvd video and encoding hdv files.

These cores can't come fast enough.

6. wchong macrumors 6502

i don't see them replacing them anytime soon. however, you could buy the processor yourself and replace the xeon's

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

if the human race has the technology, or the drive to further technology, then there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with coming out with new and fantastic chips as fast as possible.

its a telescoping thing, where as time goes by upgrades come faster and faster, cheaper and cheaper, and of course more powerful than the last.

be happy that the human race is advancing as it is.

if Intel can make something better than whats currently out, then do it, to hell with costs and pricing, this is more about technological advancements than just plain profits and pleasing the public. (4 p words at once!)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Define "obsolete."

Your computer still works as good as it always has if other processors come out.

If an octo-core Intel chip came out and was put into a MB or MBP, my laptop is just as good as it was yesterday, and just as obsolete as well. It wouldn't be any more or less obsolete because it still runs new software like Lightroom (Beta 4) just fine.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the link.*

sounds like good news to me

10. wchong macrumors 6502

now that you mention that, i remember how more than a decade ago having 1GB of HDD was a big deal. then the 2GB came out. now we have terabytes.

do you remember 8mb or RAM? now we're in the gigabytes.

remember 133 MHz processor speed? a group of modders nitro cooled a 2.0 GHz processor a couple of years ago to overclock it to 5 GHz...

i love technology... but our wallets don't

11. capran macrumors member

I'd replace "human race" in your comment with "computer technology."

Faster and multicore CPUs do nothing to further the cause of the human race. Show me a CPU that can end poverty, disease, hatred, ignorance, crime, selfishness, war etc.

I'm a technonerd by trade and hobby, but I have no allusions that technology can improve the human race.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

don't we use computers to try and find cures for diseases?

13. wchong macrumors 6502

you still need a doctor to confirm it :D

computers are just tools. advancement of the human race pertains solely to how humans evolve around their environment. technology is just a tool that facilitates our survival and adaptation to the ever changing world

14. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Its crazy lol, i still have a 700 mhz compaq with 400 mb of sdram with a 30 gig hard drive lol around my house. I gave it to my sister because all she ever does it download music and instant message people. But wow 4 cores on 1 chip, i wonder how fast each core will run, and also wonder if regular apps are going to start switching over to 64 bit config. Because im assuming that for a app to take full use of the processing power it has to be configured correctly. Am i right? Whats the sense of coding in 32 bit if these type of chips are coming out.

If i bought a power mac i wouldn't buy another computer for like 10 years. Just keep adding hard drives and memory. I hope apple isn't shooting themselves in the legs with a system like that. I saw that one person wants to replace their g5 and im thinking i couldn't picture that computer being slow. But i guess we all have different uses and that inturn creates our perception of what we want and need. Im happy to see advancement, i just hope they dont get caught into a core trend like how intel was once all about the amount of ghz you could pump out of chip lol. I guess you ride the tend until it flat lines and then you find a new trend to ride on.