Quad G5 gaming First Impression

Discussion in 'Games' started by Eevee, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Inside Mac Game post nice reviews of the Quad G5 on games such as Unreal Tournament 2004, World of Warcraft, Homeworld 2 and Halo.

http://insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=404

As expected, the increase in game performance was due mostly to the new grahpic card Nvidia GeForce 7800GT, and not necessary the Quad processor.

As he stated,

"...all new G5s sport a 16-lane PCI Express slot, which is a lot faster than the older PCI-X graphic interface, and the nVidia GeForce 7800 is a great gaming video card that turns any new G5 into a good gaming machine."

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, there's strike one against the original reviewer.

The older ones used AGP 8x, not PCI-X, for the video card. And while the 16x PCI-Express interface is, indeed, twice as fast as AGP 8x, in reality, it doesn't make a difference. (Many, MANY comparisons have been done on PC enthusiast websites. The same model of video card, compared in otherwise-equal PCI-E vs. AGP systems, performed exactly the same.) The video chipset itself is the biggest arbiter. (Compare the exact same G5 Quad using the bottom-of-the-line PCI-E 6600 LE to the previous-generation 2.0GHz G5 with an AGP GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and the older, slower G5 will win.)

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Dunno why anyone would think that the 4 cores would make a difference in gaming. There's virtually no games out there (for the Mac at least) that are aware or taking into account or care about multiple processors. Not 2, not 3, and definitely not 4.

4. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Good point. There weren't significant differences seen in the comparisons done on PCs.

Do you know if there is such comparison of the Quad with the previous model G5 equipped with the 66800 or ATI Radeon 9800XT card?

5. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Since the recent G5s are dual or quad, do you think companies will start making games utilizing dual cores for performance enhancement?

6. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

think about it, do developers take the time to port good games for mac in the first place? No, so why would they take the time to optimize them for dual core unless there was some easy way to take a pc dual core optimized game and port it to mac without haveing to re optimize it for dual core.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope. Multi-cores are becoming more popular for PCs as well, but it's not happening there either. MAYBE if it becomes "the standard" in a few years. Right now I think more game devs are focusing on the poweer of the new GPUs and SLI'd multiGPU ****.

8. brett_x macrumors newbie

Macs are people too.

When game companies start to understand that Macs are people too.:D

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Heh.. well, it's not just a Mac thing.. it's a gaming thing from Windows too. There's really not much software (not just games) out there that truely takes mutiple processors into account.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Barefeats has some numbers here and here.

Overall, the Powermac G5 is an all-or-nothing machine as far as video cards go - you either get a ho-hum card or an all-out performance card.

At the bottom end are the GeForce 5200, Radeon 9600 and (now) GeForce 6600. These cards, while not bad, are not serious gamer hardware. At the other end are the excellent Radeon 9800XT, X800XT, X850XT, and GeForce 6800 Ultra/GT and 7800GT. These are great cards, but expensive, and not plentiful when new.

As for the 6600GT versus the AGP cards, I'll bet that the 6600 is slower than all of them (excluding the Radeon 9600s and GeForce 5200s).

11. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Thanks for the link Lord Blackadder. :D

12. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yeah, you guys are right...though it would be kinda cool to have a game to use mulitple cores (am just dreaming).

Thanks everone for your inputs!

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hopefully not forever.. but I imagine that it's mind boggling to try and figure out just WHAT you would pawn off onto another processor(s). And then, if there's problems, it's a whole new headache to try and support/troubleshoot.

I believe World of Corpserun.. er Warcraft drops portions of it's sound crap onto another processor, if it exists.

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Interesting how the article author says that when he maxed out the graphics in World of Warcraft he dropped to roughly 30 frames everywhere...when I played it on the dual 2.3 G5 with a 9800 XT, 256 MB I got 50 frames constant in Ironforge, where, at any given time, there are more than 100 people in one place. What gives?

15. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

Easy, the author doesnt know what he is talking about :cool:

16. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

lol :p

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Maybe the G5 didn't come with the (energy saver) performance settings set to "maximum" and he forgot to turn them up.

Still, ATI cards on the Mac seem to have drivers that make better use of their hardware than the nVidia products....but a 7800-equipped Quad should be faster than a dual 2.3 and 9800XT all across the board.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't have much time to play games, but I'm really looking forward (especially after reading this article) to playing halo on my quad G5 on my 1920x1200 Dell 24" LCD :D

I might have to get another game to go with it....

D

19. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I played Halo on my dual-core G5 last night till 3 am this morning (multiplayer) . Make sure you get the update patch 1.5.2 to play against PC players

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/demos_updates/halocombatevolved.html

Also, you need download "stuffit" to open the patch (OSX 10.4 does not come with it).

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think what all this shows is the powermac Quad is a great Pro video,photo machine but for consumers and gamers its like having a Dragster with no wheels. Just no way to get all that power to the ground. To be fair the Quad & 7800 is posting less frames per second then a single Athlon mated to last years cards such as the 6800. Apple has catered to the pro's for years but the consumer gamer hasnt much to gain by the purchase of any powermac.

I have to admit that i had a dual 2.5 on order and after waiting and waiting cancelled the order and bought a Alienware for my gaming needs. This machine now 1.5 years old is still posting much better frame rates then the new quads. Kind of sad but true. Sure there are many reasons for this but thats the bottom line. Legacy of the PPC.

On a side note the video card makers in the pc world are now coming out with patches to allow the use of all those cores to interact with the video card so multicore gaming is coming in the PC world. But in my experience all you need is a fast single cpu & modern card and you are set.

Now jump to the end of 2006 and you will see multicore Intels in the Powermac and then Apple will have one very powerful gaming machine. That opens up the powermac to Consumer sales rather then just those few pro's. 2006 is going to be a Great year for the Mac/Gamer.

21. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I suspect (system) RAM matters a great deal in areas like Ironforge and Orgrimmar... That could be the difference.

Some of the game that are in development now will take advantage of 2+ cores/cpus, though it'll certainly take some time before it becomes a standard. I know Neverwinter Nights 2 (which unfortunately is Windows-only for now) supports it. Quake 4 is getting SMP support (I don't remember if the recent SMP-support adding patch was final or not).

Edit: More than one core on PC's really only become commonly available this year (exlcuding Xeon/Athlon MP), with the Athlon X2 and Pentium D, so it's no surprise if game dev's haven't been too active with SMP support in their games.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

In my mind, the two biggest reasons why Mac games are fewer and don't get as much out of the hardware as they could are the different CPU (as you said) and DirectX, which in my opinion is a bigger stumbling block when you're talking about games.

And unfortunately the DirectX problem won't go away after Apple's x86 switch. :(

The Quad could run much much faster if More software was developed for it rather than ported. Sorry to drag out the well-beaten dead horse, but it bears repeating until the day when Macs gain near-parity with PCs on the gaming front.

23. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Slightly off topic but Apple better damn well enable Mac users to use standard PCI E cards in the new PowerMac Intel.

Now that would be parity!

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Do you mean PCI express video cards made for PCs? I don't think that will happen, but ATI and nVidia will probably start making dual platform cards that work in both Macs and PCs (ATI already has a Radeon 9600 that is dual platform and can handle the 30" ACD).

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

With all the **** you spew about Apple, you went and bought an Alienware?!