Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jod8301

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Hey all,

I'm (well...was) running a Quad G5 and I came in today to discover the power off. When I tried to turn it back on, the main power light flashes and there is a loud click...but nothing else happens.

Anyone have an idea as to what could be going on? Power supply and guesses?

Thanks,

John

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Unpluig the machine from the wall for about 10 minutes, then:

Reset the SMU: Underneath the ram to the right is small SMU reset button. Power computer down, remove side cover, air baffle and fan assembly and press button once. Put machine back together and restart.

jod8301

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Thanks for the tip...but it was a no go. Tried it and the same thing happened.

Push power...click...nothing. :(

Poor Quad.

jod8301

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
4GB...all pre-installed...would it matter which stick I leave in? Which slot should have the solo stick?

jod8301

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Yeah...I remembered that about 5 minutes after posting. Still a no go.

To AppleCare I go.

jod8301

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Well...the call went well. Told them what I had tried, they said it's probably the PSU. My boss is taking it into the Soho NYC store tonight for repair.

Hope they get it running.

Much thanks to you all for the support and suggestions.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
sounds like a power supply problem to me. memory just wouldn't allow your computer not to power on. could also be a logic board issue. might check to see if there are any swelled caps on the logic board. more than likely a power supply issue. should be an easy fix (as i wait for igary's response)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.