Quad Processor Power970 PowerMacs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Shrek, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

How many of you here would like to see future PowerMacs with 970s in them that are quad processor-capable?

Personally I would like to be able to buy a PowerMac that has only one processor in it, and then later I can expand to two processors and eventually four.

What do ya'll think?

2. ELYXR macrumors regular

I think that's a great idea! The Mac platform could really benefit from forward thinking like this. I remember buying the Abit BP6 motherboard. It was engineered to use dual Celeron processors, which Intel have since locked. It was a great idea, "economic multi-processing". To my knowledge noone has jumped back on that since.

3. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Just buy 2

Just buy 2 PowerMacs and network them together. Bullseye, you got a quad Mac. Software needs to be updated like Adobe has to After Effects Pro bundle that can use distributed computing.

Pete

4. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: Just buy 2

Yes, but the kind of expandability and forward thinking that I mentioned above couldn't happen that way. You should be able to buy a PowerMac with one processor for really cheap.

5. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Hey, don't forget, clustering is rumored to be implemented as early as Mac OS X 10.3 (at least in the server edition), which could open the door to extremely fast computing.

Imagine a school district that just bought two lab-fulls of eMacs, and they are all networked together. On days when a full class is in the lab, the machines would operate normally, but those times when a student comes in after school, he suddenly has access to a sixty-node supercomputer, and that just for his iMovie project.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Or maybe for folding... hm... I hear another great idea coming... :D

I would sure like that quad powermac would be okay but more for servers. Clustering would be super!

7. praetorian_x macrumors member

Re: Just buy 2

Ummm, no. You don't have a quad mac. You have a weak ass cluster, running over slow ethernet. Firewire would be more interesting, but would still be insanely slow compared to a truely quad system. Furthermore, the programming for distributed computing is much nastier than mutlithreading an application, which is tricky enough on its own.

I'm more concerned that Apple get single and dual proccessor configurations up to snuff before they move on to quads. Quads would be another step torwards the SGI-ification of apple.

Cheers,
    prat

8. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

You must realize that when clustering not only will you have a slow system, but you are buying more than just more processors. Not only are you buying the processors, but you are buying a whole 'nother system! I mean like, c'mon, you'd be paying for more than what you need and almost no one is going to go for that (it's too expensive), and all we're asking for here is just more processors and the ability add those processors later if you want to. Sheeesh. :rolleyes:

9. noht* macrumors member

Re: Re: Just buy 2

why? ethernet is at 1000 mbit now while firewire is at 800... ethernet comes close to its theoretical maximum troughput, too. i backed up all my files yesterday over a 100 mbit network and got about 10-11 mbytes a second...

[edit: ok, maybe the latency is better with firewire...but i don't know really]

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Would it be logical to build a motherboard with four processor slots already there, so you just add as you like, or as your budget allows? That would be the most sensible thing.

11. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: Re: Re: Just buy 2

I'm telling you, there should be no need to buy a whole 'nother system. All were asking for here is two more processors. No money games.

12. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Thank you Felix for supporting my point-of-view. :)