Quake 3 and Punkbuster

Discussion in 'Games' started by Schiffi, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

My Punkbuster won't update via in game (if it is it's taking a long time) nor will manuelly updating it work (crashes Q3A to desktop). Has anyone gotten this to work? If so how?

2. job macrumors 68040

job

i have never gotten punkpuster to work in OSX. every time i enable it in RtCW, it quits back to the menu and says that it isn't. i'm guessing you have a similar problem...

3. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

Ive never gotten it to update on OsX or windows 98. both on 56k btw..

4. alphaone macrumors 6502

5. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I've had some problems with PB, but I've always found the solution to get it to work. I'm sure I've also had all the problem with PB that's out there, so I maybe have the answer for your problem.

You need to download the Quake 3 1.32 version from ID Software's server (it's sloooow...). Then you need to reinstall the PB-files that come with the Q3 1.32 installer. And then you'll have to make sure that all of the PB files is in the correct folders (like the pbags, pbsv etc. is in ~/Library/Application Support/Quake 3/pb). Then to make sure it will work, just download manually the newest .htm files from evenbalance.com. Remember to keep the .htm files you had in the pb folder if you're replacing the whole pb folder when reinstalling it.

If you still have some problems with PB, just tell me specifically what the problem is.

6. beerguy macrumors regular

PB works fine on here. It takes a while to update if I haven't played in a while but it works.

7. Schiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Yeah, I finally got it to work. Took several minutes and timed out. I went to start it again and it finished in like a few seconds. I guess it does that. Go figure.

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I was about to make a new thread on this when I stumbled upon this post. Perhaps you could help the unfortunate... me :)

I've been trying to get punkbuster to work for about 2 hours now, and I really want to kill it. This is what I've done:

Upgraded Quake 3 to 1.32, and installed the PunkBuster package that came w/ it. It creates the "pb" folder in quake 3, and also makes the library folder... Quake 3 sees that it has punkbuster, but it won't update via the game at all. I downloaded the "PBWeb" application from the punkbuster site, but it says it can't detect PB in the folder, yet the same program works fine for updating Wolf 3-D.

I manually put the HTML files into the ~/Applications/Quake3/PB/HTM folder, and when I connect to a server it still kicks me and tells me I need to update, which never happens... do you have any suggestions? :confused:

Edit- These are the only files in the ~/Applciations/Quake3/PB/ folder... is that right?

pbag.mac, pbcl.mac, pbsv.mac, htm

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I think I finally got it.

You have to copy your ~/Applications/Quake3/PB folder into your ~/Library/Application Data/Quake3/ folder... since that is where your fs_homepath is set to.

On a different note, anyone been able to change their fs_homepath? set fs_homepath doesn't work since it says fs_homepath is write protected, and we can't add it to the command line when we launch... well unless we make a script probably... :confused:

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Bump... anyone know how to change the FS_fullpath?