Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 10, 2003.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'd like to buy Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament for my eMac, since they'd both run pretty well on it. However, finding them both online and in-store is close to impossible. Anyone know how I can locate either of these?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

p2p

;)

i mean... uh... the stoooore. thats right, the store

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I still have my copy and box of UT and i dont play it anymore since it is os9, tell me where to ship and cover the cost and ill put in in the mail.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, let me ask the question that will solve both of my problems...

Are UT and Q3 both OS X compatible? Both demos I tried were OS 9, and I got HORRIBLE framerates with them, even on a 1Ghz 32MB video card. If it's not OS 9, I may as well move on.

5. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

sounds like you were running in classic.

7. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Over summer I bike with some friends to my local Gamestop and bought a hybrid copy of Quake III for 20 bucks. The 1.32 update brings OSX support which works in Panther. The best part of Quake 3 is the mods. I downloaded Truecombat which is a realism mod which beefs up the graphics and adds new weapons, maps, models, etc. On my PowerMac G4 400mhz w/ a 16 mb Ati Rage 120 pro I get around 30-90 frames on low settings (still looks great in TC) so your eMac will be able to handle it no problem. One site to look for it is Gogamer.com if you don't have a local Gamestop.

Edit: http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGa...3183a922745d0fedee2070e/Product/View/001QUA3Ghere is the direct link to a copy of Quake 3 for PC/MAC.

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Oh, wait, there's a hybrid CD available? That should make it much easier to find. I thought I had to find a specific Mac version.

9. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Yeah that's what I thought as well but id software started making Quake 3 Gold a hybrid version which is very convienient because my friends and I have LAN parties quite frequently using the Truecombat mod.

10. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, since I'm already getting Rayman 3 for my Mac for Christmas, I'll try to drop by my local CompUSA to see if they have a boxed copy of it sometime later on.

EDIT: Really wish I could find a OSX demo of it though--I'm interested in how well the game will REALLY run.

11. Draft macrumors 6502

12. lewdvig macrumors 65816

You can get the hybrid Q3 Gold edition with the expansion pack almost anywhere.

13. dulcemara macrumors newbie

Quake 3 Gold and the G5

Ok, received Quake 3G this Christmas and have had a great day off yelling at my computer. I've installed 1.32 and nothing. It crashes, there's no sound, do I return it?

Thx in advance.

DM

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Quake 3 Gold and the G5

Are you using the Mac OS X version/update? If not, I believe that you can find it through macgamefiles.com.

15. dulcemara macrumors newbie