Quake 3+Classic and OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by placebo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. placebo macrumors member

OK here's the deal.. I have Quake 3, but it only installs on OS 9. I know about the OS X patch.. but even then I still have to install it on Classic to get to that point.

Here's my question, is there anyway I can make the installer file itself run under max os x and not immediately go look for the Classic startup disk.. which BTW I don't have. ??

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

The thing is, it is a one time install.

What I mean by this is that you install it in Mac OS 9... which basically unpacks everything, you burn that folder to a CD and you never need to worry about this again.

I've been playing Quake III in Mac OS X since the Public Beta... I haven't played in Mac OS 9 since the end of 2001. More importantly, I haven't had to install Quake III again since that first install either because I backed it up onto a CD.

Find someone you know who has Classic, a CD burner and doesn't mind you using their system for about an hour.

Then you can do what I do... I keep that CD in the same case as my Quake III CD (the Arena case, not the "team arena" one).

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Q3X was always too buggy to play for me. :( They never fixed the plasma/projectile crash.

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

:confused: What crashed Quake III for you?

I actively play this game a lot (I go back and forth between Quake II, Unreal Tournament, Ghost Recon and Quake III on my systems).

The last time I had Quake III crash on me was...
    2003-05-31 18:34:31 -0500​
    and I just installed it on a new system a few weeks ago and went through all the levels without any problems.

What exactly was it that you were doing to crash it?

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can install Quake3 without the installer very easily. Simply download the latest Quake3 OS X patch, and click install. It will make a folder called Quake3 with everything you need- except for one file. On your CD there is a file called pak0.pk3. Simply move that into the baseq3 folder inside the Quake3 folder on your hard drive and you're done. No OS 9 needed, no pains.

6. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

i play quake arena A LOT.. usually on excessive servers. let's have a match

7. dskl macrumors newbie

Q3 Crashes

Q3 crashes when I get hit in the face with the plasma gun. I've had this problem ever since I went to OSX. Nothing seems to help. Even upgraded to tiger today just to see if it would help. Some players never see this problem, but many do.

I'm running a desktop G5 1.8 Ghz, 1 Gig of RAM with the radeon 9800 graphics card.

Wish someone would come up with a solution for this, it's a problem that's been around for a long time.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

That's exactly it! It stops me from playing my old favorite game. :(

I'll be running around with a plasma gun, and all of a sudden the program will exit. Or worse, I'm being fired at and the last thing I see is a ball of turquoise. It must be something with the plasma projectiles. But it happens less with other object collisions as well.

I think Instagib was ok... but it's been a long time...