Quake 3 Demo for osx?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ipyro24, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Ipyro24 macrumors member

i was looking for the quake 3 demo for osx but cant seem to find it. im staring to think they don't have one. i was sondering if someone could point me in the right direction.
    thanx,
    pyro

2. Doraemon macrumors 6502

There is no demo for OS X. Only OS 9.

The OS X patch only works with the full version of Q3A.

3. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

okay, and is it generally accepted that playing the demo through classic is gonna suck? Its a lot slower for me through classic than if i boot up through os9. Is there a way to change that? I really miss that demo.

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

6. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

but... but... that's not FREE

whine whine whine

seriously though, is there a limit to how much memory an app can use through classic? why is performance hampered when running something through classic

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's not free but it does work. I'm not sure about just removing the extra pieces that came with the retail package and using the remainder. That might work. I think the pak0.pk3 file is the main difference. It's still over 20 MB before compression and that's a lot to send.

The Classic environment makes Mac OS X into a host for Mac OS 9.x and so, you're running one layer for each operating system. Mac OS 9.x takes time to do its job and then, it has to be translated into something that Mac OS X can finally use. That is a lot of processing that the computer would normally be using just to run the game.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Get Quake III Arena Gold. It's worth it for the Kamikaze bomb alone. :p

I went for two years w/o buying the full Q3A. But now that I have it, it's paid for itself time and again! If you want Q3A for some serious fragging, buy the retail version. If you're just gonna use it casually, then nevermind. :)

Ahh how I miss the days of dink.cfg... :D

9. LoadRunner macrumors member

You might be able to find the linux box at a store near you, that usually sells for ten. But seriously buy the game. You won't regret it. The game has learning curve, but it's quite rewarding.

Other wise you can try down loading the demo, and point release 1.32 B.
    Install the demo, install 1.32 B and then copy the pack*.pk3 files from the demo's baseq3 folder into the point release 1.32 B's baseq3 folder.

But why go through all that trouble, with a legal copy you'll be able to run all the mods, and play online with a billions of other people.

www.quake3world.com <-- check out the cool mac forum.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

The only Q3 I can find in stores is the jewel case version of the PC version. *sigh*. :(

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apparently, amazon.com is still selling the Gold package. That's the link I posted earlier. I've heard they deliver. :p

12. louis1979 macrumors newbie

Cant get my os 9 version of quake 3 to run through os x, can u help??

I downloaded the patch v1.32 for quake3 arena to play on osx, but to my dismay it hasn't worked. Instead i get the ID logo at the beginning but then I get a blank white screen.
    I believe that i have got it to run through OSX b4 but i then deleted all my quake files and reinstalled recently. Please can you advise me on what to do?

Louis

13. vaaleron macrumors newbie

q3a demo in osx

ok i got it to sort of run by installing the demo on my PC then copying over the demoq3 folder, but just the pak0 file didn't work, I had to copy the files from the OSX version patch from baseq3, then the game can be started up but its kind of glitchy and loooks like metal gear solid vr 'cuz of the missing textures :confused: I think they changed the texmap names when they made the full version (I have the quake 1.32 patch, os-x.3, the full ver of quake 3 that I couldn't install b/c it was the PC version but I copied the baseq3 folder to the hard drive then the patch was OK with installing onto it and it worked. I'm going to try to figure out how to make it work without the orig disc that I found then post again :(

14. Dink macrumors newbie

dink.cfg

LOL!!! I still have dink.cfg online and people DL it all the time. Long live dink.cfg!! :D

15. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

what you can do is get the demo, and get the os x patch then delete the os9 q3 application and then put the osx patch were the os9 app was, leaving the baseq3 folder intact...the game should run the demo but on osx, if it doesnt work...just boot up from os9 :D

16. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

The whole point of this topic is that not everyone CAN boot into OS9.

17. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

whoops...my bad...must've past my mind... :p

18. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Anyone have demo running in OS X?

My AlBook 1.25 can't boot 9 :) Does anyone actually have the Q3 demo running in X?

I have the demo--which is a psychedelic nightmare in Classic--and I downloaded the Q3 OSX 1.3.2 patch (latest one, from MacGameFiles.com). I put the new OS X app (actually, a G4 and a non-G4 flavor) in the demo folder, but it doesn't work--it gives an error about locating your Quake 3 installation, and then unexpectedly quits.

Then I tried renaming the demoq3 folder to "baseq3" and that removed the error message... but it still unexpectedly quits. No game. Lastly, I tried putting the patch's baseq3 folder in the demo folder, along WITH the demoq3 folder. Both present. Then I got the error message back--and the same old quit.

Is there an OS X-native solution?

Alternatively... any tips for making the demo run in Classic without being a scrambled mess? (So bad you can't even read the menus to quit.) I dumped the demo's config file to start fresh, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of buying Q3A to play on LAN against friends with older Macs. But I want to see it first-hand on my AlBook first, if possible. (Then again, Q3 seems to still sell for the price of a brand-new game--I don't trust used, and even the best used price I see is $20. The Gold Edition sells for $40 used, right on up to $60! I probably can't stomach that cost for such an old game.)

Thanks for any leads!

19. Doraemon macrumors 6502

20. mkaake macrumors 65816

since it's bundled with the pc version, would it be wrong to assume it plays nice with the PC version?

21. applekid macrumors 68020

A few things to straighten out:

The demo is OS 9 only. Q3A was out since the OS 9 days.

Quake 3 Arena Gold is a hybrid disc indeed.

There is full compatibility between the Mac and PC versions for networking and mods.

The demo ran fine in Classic, I think. I remember my friend coming over once and he wanted to play Quake 3. So I downloaded the demo, loaded Classic, and it played alright. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it played pretty smoothly.

22. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Go to Wal-Mart or CompUSA and look in their Jewelcase game section. Usually you can find the PC version of Q3A for $10. You can use that to play on your Mac. Heck, it worked for me.

23. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

PC Q3

Cool... In other words, I need the PC Quake3 CD, plus the downloaded OS X patch 1.3.2? Any tricks to making that work? Just drag everything off the CD, plus the OS X patch files/app?

Sounds like a good option for bargain-hunting. Anything you "miss" that way?

(The demo doesn't run for me in Panther/Radeon Mobility 9600. Not sure why, but the graphics are severely scrambled. I suppose the retail game might do the same... anyone out there running Q3 in Panther on a 15" AlBook?)

24. Doraemon macrumors 6502

No.
    Or rather: not quite.

A hybrid CD has both Mac and PC version of the game on the same disc.

Hence, you have a MacOS (classic) installer. Install it (dead simple), patch it (all very well documented) with the OS X patch and enjoy!

25. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

He's talking about buying the PC-only disc (cheap, jewel-boxed) and then using those files (plus the OS X patch, nothing more?) to play on Mac. I never heard of that with Q3, but I've heard of doing it with other games, like the PC version of Freespace plus the Mac OS X patch.