Quake 3 G5 Bug?

Discussion in 'Games' started by iomud, Jan 25, 2004.

1. iomud macrumors newbie

Alright so I've got Quake 3 installed on my dual 2.0 G5 (9800). The game runs great in single player.

Multiplayer is another story though, I'm on cable and ping anywhere from 30 to 100 on servers I usually play on. The game play experience is smooth as glass, but I get these weird intermittent connection issues like clockwork about every 2 to 3 minutes for about 5 to 10 seconds at a time. The game shows connection interrupted but my ping stays exactly the same no spike at all. I think the issue is the 1.32 patch, or it's compatibility with the G5. I have punkbuster installed but even prior to it's installation I had the same interruption issue.

I know it's not my cable based on the fact that I have plenty of other games that do not suffer from connection problems, even games based on the quake 3 engine like JK2.

If anyone is in a position to confirm or knows of a work-around, hook me up. I've tried tweaking every setting I know in Q3 to no avail.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Usually when that happens it a server problem, or a buffer overflow on your end. If you have an old cable modem, then that may be the culprit. Also if you did any tinkering with the OS X default network settings (advanced settings via terminal or another utility) then you may have messed something up.

3. iomud thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i haven't messed with any osx network settings. I'm talking about things like tweaking rate and network error correction in quake 3 itself. It's a brand new cable modem on 2mbit cable, and like I said all my other games play fine.

4. Digitalflick macrumors regular

Could be a setting like snaps, maxpackets, or rate. I run a cfg that lets you switch these settings in-game to get the best connection. email me if you would like to try it out. hisownufo@yahoo.com

5. Digitalflick macrumors regular

6. iomud thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed my problem, turns out my linksys routers firmware had a bug in it that messed up udp timeouts so that's why my connection issues were intermittent and regular. The router is Linksys BEFW11S4 version 2 and the latest firmware patch corrected it.

Thanks for everyones help.

7. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

quake 3 on osx?

hey, speaking of quake three... does it run in osx? i used to play the demo on os9 all the time, but when i switched to jaguar, i had to run it through classic, and that had terrible performance. i figured i'd have to boot up in os9 to have any fun with it. is it maybe just the demo that wasn't ported to osx?
    or should i download a new demo somewhere?
    (that's right, i'm a cheapskate, no buying games for me)

8. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Re: quake 3 on osx?

i would like to make a similar statement with Ultimate Tournament's name in place of Moe's name, i mean Quake 3