Quake 3 on a 12inch Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by _pb_boi, Aug 23, 2004.

1. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I have a 12 inch 1GHz Powerbook, the latest revision before the recent update to 1.33GHz and other improvements. It's totally stock, save for AE.

We just setup a home wireless network, and I've been playing Quake 3 from the Windows desktop downstairs, against my brother on his Windows laptop. I'm wondering what the performance will be like on Mac, before I buy the software. It runs well on my brothers laptop, despite it being truly old, so I have high hopes - despite THPS4 glitching really bad sometimes.

Could anyone also tell me what the performance of UT2004 would be like?

I'd be running both games with graphics turned way down - its performance rather than visuals I'm looking for, I guess.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

andy.

2. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

It should run smooth like baby's butt. Not that I know how smooth that is.
    But it screams on my PB.

3. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I've just recently bought a 12" PB (my first Mac, and Yay!), and was wondering if I can use my Win32 Quake3/Team Arena CD's? Or, will I have to buy new versions?

4. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Megaquad - thanks; that frees my conscience to buy it then!

IscariotJ, congrats on the Mac, mate - but be warned, every occasion that you use Windows in the future WILL lead to a chronic case of hypertension... :)

As for Q3A on Mac; sorry, you'll need to buy the Mac specific version, as you will with almost all games, unfortunately!

andy.

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Did you buy Quake III and Team Arena seperatly or did you buy Quake III Gold. If you bought the Gold edition then you can install with no problem because the cd is mac compatible.

If not then I would say you have to buy Q3 Gold. Reason being that you can install Q3 Arena on you PB using the Windows cd. This is done buy downloading and installing the OS X update for Q3 (it can be found at apple.com) and copying the remaining .pk3 files from the cd to the directory the update created, but I have not found a update for Team Arena that will allow you to do this trick.

But this is just my observation.

6. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that link mate - trying it now :-D

andy.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Come on, it's another old game. Of course it'll be fine! :D

8. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Given the Powerbooks lacklustre gaming performance, to say it'll be fine, even with an old game, is a big assumption :)

As for the Q3A update, I downloaded it, and it looks for a retail installation of Q3A - that's fine, but how the heck do I get Q3A installed from the CD, to a mac? No idea there!

Thanks for any help here, would be really appreciated.

andy.

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=62529&page=2&highlight=Quake

10. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Half of the experience of UT2K4 is for the visuals themselves... the landscape-mapping, pixel shaded/bumpmapped textures are what the game is known for... toned-down settings IMO can really detract from the gameplay itself.

11. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but for *me*, half the experience is beating my brother. :)

neoelectronaut - thanks very much for that link, much appreciated!!

One problem; when I click on the Quake 3 link, it (quite rightly) says, "You need to select the installation directory for Quake 3..." - but I'm not sure what on the CD constitutes the mac OS X installer. Ideas??

andy.

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Set your proc settings to high and you'll be fine. I get 70+ avg on my Rev B.

13. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh, proc settings to high - thanks for the tip :) should help a good lot, usually set to battery save!

andy.

14. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Err if you're running off batt power probably best to use Batt Save but if you're plugged in set to highest when you game for the best experience possible on your machine. Are you running a Rev B also?

15. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice :)

As far as I know, its a rev C - I bought it 6 days before the current Powerbooks came out, so I think it's a rev C :)

andy.

16. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

That would be Rev B.

If you've got a 1ghz proc with a 40 GB HD and DDR266 RAM that's a Rev B you got there.

17. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, okilies - thanks! :)

It's a revision B then :) and a very nice one, too.

18. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah... the only thing I don't like about mine is that the GeFX drivers are really horrible. There's some really bad redraw with Halo and hardware fog...

19. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

IMHO, the card in general isn't too hot, but it does its job, so can't complain. A bit more gaming prowess for bringing to LANparties would be nice, but hey, that's what a desktops for isn't it :)

andy.

20. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah, that's why the PB is only for my on the road *basic* entertainment. My monster stays at home (see sig). :D

21. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd agree - though having said that, my entire music library is on my mac, despite using a desktop daily. It just seems natural that anything to do with creativity, enjoyment, etc., should be on Mac, not Windows :)

Can anyone shed any light on installing Quake 3 from a Win32 cd? I've installed the update from the Apple website, just wondering what I'm installing! At the minute, it's asking where to find the retail installation - not sure how to install from the Win32 cd atm!

andy.

22. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

If you can drag/drop the .pak files and put them in a folder labelled "base" in the same folder that Q3 is in that may work.

23. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, thanks for the hint - just tried it, but no luck. It's definately weird, just asks for the location of the retail installation. Weirdies!

andy.

24. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

There's only the game installer and not separate files?

25. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

we always get these posts "will this run on this? and how will it run?"...heres a good way to find out
    1.-
    google.com
    you search and you find out, its quiet easy
    2.-check the games requirements...if it says 400mhz G3 and you have ONE GIGAHERTZ G4...are you seriously that dumb?
    3.-search the forums before you post...