Quake 3: PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xero, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Xero macrumors 6502

does anyone know of a patch or something of the sort, that allows you to convert the PC version of Quake 3's install files over to a useable OS X version? im pretty sure it exists cause ive been told it does, and it would make sense, since most of the data used in quake 3 is in .pak3 files anyways. if anyone has any idea about this thatd be great, thanks.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Please do a search on the topic. It's been handled previously.

Thanks!

3. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

hey thanks for the notice, sorry bout the unneeded topic. and i actually figured this out on my own. :rolleyes: i was going to just delete the thread but i cant! oh well. thanks though!

4. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

I did a search and couldnt find the answer, can you let me know how to make it work Xero?

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry that you couldn't find it, and if I sounded harsh, it wasn't my intention. It takes a lot of storage to re-iterate a bunch of posts. :)

I believe that you can get the latest demo v1.32 and simply drop the pak0.pk3 file from the PC version into the baseq3 folder. I'm not sure whether you need to make adjustments to the config file or not.

6. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

how to make it work...

you bet. what i did, since i have a PC also, is i just copied the directory that the game was installed to on my PC, onto my mac, and then i downloaded the latest patch/update for OS X and dropped all the files in the patch folder, into the corrisponding folders inside the quake3 directory on my mac. then you just run quake 3 app in the game directory and it should work. :)

if you dont have it installed on a PC and just have the PC installation cd, id imagine theres a way to just pull the directory files from the cd much like you would from the installed PC directory.

let me know if that works for you.

7. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

well um.. im still a mac newbie. I downloaded the demo, it might have been old I found it from some obscure location in .bin format. But i cant seem to install it, when i try it says error -39 which sounds strikinginly windows related for some reason lol. Maybe im having trouble because im trying to install a classic applicaion through os X?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Try running most things ending in .bin through Stuffit Expander. They usually end up being something more interesting. :)

I was looking for the Mac OS X demo for 1.32 but couldn't find it. You might try a magazine CD-ROM, if the file you have doesn't work for you.

9. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

10. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

DONT use the demo update, as the quake3.app is different than in the regular games updates. at least for me, it wouldnt run right when using the demo 1.32 update [it shows a quake3 DEMO splash when loading, then gives an error]. just go to id software's quake 3 arena section and click on updates on the bottom, and there is a link to the retail 1.32 patch there. after youve got that, uncompress it with stuffit [this should be automatic if your using IE or Safari, and pretty simple with other browsers, e.i. double click the compressed file] and then follow the instructions i gave above. hope that helps. :)

EDIT: yes, there is a link to the MAC 1.32 update there also, cause i know it wasnt there a couple days ago, you had to go through another link on the website to get to the mac update.

11. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

i downloaded the demo, deleted the demo .pk and put the baseq3 folder and its contents into the mac demo folder. But when i try to load it, it says cant read default.cfg and shuts down on me.

12. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

ummm, he just said. one post above yours, don't download the demo... download the 1.32 update. it's different to the demo.

13. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

14. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

Kapish?

15. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

ok it was alot easier than i thought, had nothing to do with the demo.

downloaded the 1.32 OSX update from idsoftware ftp, installed it and then all i had to do was drop pak0.pk3 into the baseq3 folder, put in the serial key on my CD and it was good to go.

thanks =)