quake 3 question HELP????

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I recently recieved my new dual 1.8 G5 with a 20 inch apple display. Now when i run quake 3 on it the game does run and it has a wide screen option (one of the resolution options ) ok so when i try this resolution or anything higher than 640 by 480 it defaults back to 640 by 480. i can play at this resolution but i would really like to play at my monitors maximum or at least 1024 by 768. Any suggestions are welcome.

I can play unreal 2k4 perfect. No problem what so ever same thing with Warcraft 3. Any suggestions please....

2. gorman macrumors member

Start off by searching for q3config.cfg. It should be in your home directory/Library/Application Support/Quake3/Baseq3. Look for where "seta r_customaspect" is (minus the quotes). Replace that and the three lines below it with this:

seta r_customaspect "1"
    seta r_customheight "854"
    seta r_customwidth "1280"
    seta r_mode "-1"

Replacing the width/height with the values you want, of course. That should do the trick. Feel free to lock the file to prevent Quake3 from changing it somehow, but you shouldn't need to.

While you're there, you might change "seta com_maxfps" (minus quotes again) to "0". This will give you more FPS in the game, not that it matters for anything other than bragging rights though :) You can see your FPS in the game by hitting the ~ (tilde) key, and type /cg_drawFPS 1 and hitting enter.

Enjoy!

3. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

ok i did everything you said and it still defaults back to 640 by 480. I even tried updating it to the newest version but that still did not help. Any other suggestions i could try i really want a high rez than 640 by 480. any help appreciated.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

When you go into Quake3, bring down the console (~) and then type in " /r_mode -1 " then " /vid_restart " That should fix it.

5. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

MUCHO GRACIOUS!!!! THANKS GUYS!!! Gorman and crazzeddie thanks to both of you now i am running Quake 3 at 1650 by 1050. Thanks so much guys.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie