Quake 4 on PowerMac G4

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlexMaximus, Aug 15, 2006.

1. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Despite the knowen minimum requirements for Quake 4 on for a Mac I have bought the game. I thought the game would run on my PowerMac G4 1,42Gig dual, Radeon 9800/256 with 2Gig Ram. Unfortunately it didn't even start. There must be some way to get it up and running and work around this.
    I have found about 100 pages for tweaking Quake 4, however if I can't even enter it, it will not help. :(

Do anybody know how to get Quake 4 running on a PowerMac G4 ??
    You would help me a lot, thanks

2. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Wow, I'm a bit surprised. You got the GPU and ram to run it, your cpu is just under the spec 1.42 vs 1.67 needed. They might have it locked down so you cant run it without all the minimum specs. I had that happen to me with the original unreal on my beige G3 it refused to start because app knew I had low end GPU.

Can you even install it? There might be some .ini file you can edit in text to get around it or maybe not.

I sympathize, Hopefully I'll get a new machine soon and can run this game too.

good luk dude...

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I believe there is some button u can hold down to let the game ignore what processor you have, that's what I had to do to play Halo on my G3.

I'm very surprised it won't run on your system with that GPU.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, I would think that AlexMaximus's machine would be able to play Quake 4 due to the 256MB ATI Radeon 9800. :eek:

5. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wow how did THAT run? and what button is that? the "Ub3r H4x" button?

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

"p"
    Halo requires 698Mhz or something. Because mine was under that (450) it told me to hold down the "p" key when I launched the game.
    When running the game, I have no textures. The sky is blue, the sea is blue, the ground is green, or pink, and ppl and monsters are white. But its still playable. The frame rates are perfectly fine indoors, but not quite acceptable outside.
    Good Luck.

PS This is the demo version.

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It was SO slow. I upgraded the machine like crazy when I had it, and still Halo ran slow as turtle. The G3 was free though, a hand-me-down from my Uncle who has bigger and better things.

9. AlexMaximus thread starter macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Free Market - forever

Thank you guy's for your opinion. I have also wrote the Mad scientists about my problem (bare feats). They had no problem running Quake 4 on a G4 with Gforce 7800 and thy might give it a try on the Radeon 9800. However I think it's not the GPU, it really looks like a "program/restriction thing".
    At the end of the day, the industry try to screw us anyways, because Software sells Hardware. I think it has not a lot to do with hardware - and I will proof it to guys - I will make this game running on my G4.

I''ll keep you updated.

On the other hand, for all my dear fellows how have a great G4 MDD as I have, - the industry is working on a G4 MDD upgrade, which will be issued in the Oktober 06' to December 06" time frame and more is on the way for March 07'. (I have talked to a Sonnet tech service guy) There is no need to sell your G4's for another year or two at least.
    And you know what, if Apple thinks they can screw us, becaus Apperture does not work on a G4, - well I got news for you. Adobe Lightroom works wonderfull on my G4! Welcome to the free market - Apple!!!

10. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I actually have been thinking about getting rid of the MDD, how fast are we talking? The current processor upgrade for the MDD is just 1.33 ghz and it costs a butt load. I really don't see it being worth it to buy a processor when I can get a dual G5.

11. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I don't kno why it won't work on your dual 1.42Ghz G4, when it works perfectly on my brother's last revision iBook single 1.33Ghz G4:confused:

12. AlexMaximus thread starter macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Upcoming G4 MDD upgrade..

Regarding the upcoming G4 MDD upgrade it will be most likely the newer developed PPC processors from Freescale. I think the current G4 model is 7447A. For upgrades they will use the newer models. I have heard about a 7458, but there might be a good chance to even get a G5 PPC processor upgrade for a G4.
    However I do not know at this time how they will market it. Apple will not be delighted about this anyways because of a longer product life cycle.
    Remember, because of the switch to Intel, everything in the PPC pipeline to this date would / will be possible as an upgrade in the future. That means a dual 2.8 GHz PPC G5 lays around some where waiting to be sold somehow, and I asure you, they will not throw it in the trashcan.
    If you look on the G4 Qucksilver line, they got a 1,8 Gig Dual upgrade form Sonnet. For us MDD guys I expect at least a 2,0 to 2,5 Gig Dual upgrade- if PPC G4 of PPC G5, I don't really care..

13. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

yea, but...

Yea, but the dual 1.8 for QS is $599 and has no L3 cache. For that amount I can buy a used G5 1.6 and in 2-3 months a G5 1.8 (single of course). Going this route I will get faster bus speed, graphics, and ram than my current QS upgraded w/ a dual 1.8 G4.

What you are saying is definately good news for people that need to work in classic programs. However, I went thru all of this previously with the original switch to PPC and let me tell you alot of software just vanished in about 2yrs time. They said there would be plenty for years to come, hah!There was nothing to run on my 68040 machines. It doesn't matter if there is some theoretical 2.8 G5 upgrade cpu in the future. There will be less and less software to run on it. It would probably be not so bad and a really good option if apple hadn't switched to Intel, but they did.

Dont get me wrong apple sometimes ticks me off with their "early adoption of new technology." It left me stranded with many peripherals that used the old ADB connection. In order to get the most use out of my Wacom tablet, wide format printer etc. I upgraded my beige G3 to last as long as I could. I got screwed in that transition too. So depending on my budget I'll be upgrading to a used G5 or a new intel machine, not upgrading my QS. That's my 2cents. :)

Hope someone gets quake working...:D

14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Ok, I just downloaded the Quake 4 demo, and it runs fine on my MDD Dual 1.25 with a CRAPPY Radeon 9000 Pro.

It was playable, now I just can't imagine how your machine can't run Quake.