Quake 4 released

Discussion in 'Games' started by plinden, Apr 14, 2006.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i found it to be as boreing as doom 3.

the biggest problem was it's too slow, and the audio is bad

for example; the shotgun, shotguns should go bang and sparky **** should fly out of them, they should not go "pop", the same with most of the guns, they had no power, also their was no speed to it, with halo you feel like your driveing through a warzone on a warthog about to catch fire, flood from the left cov to the right and hunters blasting at you in the front with great music and guns that make loud noises, whereas in doom three i'd get scroll wheel cramp from whipping out my torch every 5 seconds.

3. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Yep. Halo really was the big one for me too. I kinda gave up after being dissapointed with Halo 2... the rest of its competitors never really gave me the same feeling as Halo 1 either. So now I play old Bungie games like Myth II.

Did you know the Myth series is OSX compatable? I had no idea until I found:

http://projectmagma.net/what/index.php

And oh my, how many work hours have I lost since! I haven't even started playing online yet either. Oh well. Bungie, we miss you so.

4. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

i'm a long time quake arena fan (still play)
    i love quake 4 :shrug:
    i'd recommend that anyone pick it up.. the multiplay is as chaotic as it always was. nothing "slow" about it

fragenstein

5. thecheda macrumors 6502

Really nothing special about the singleplayer mode in any of these first person shoot em ups. Look at Half Life's counterstrike.

6. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

half life 2?

7. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

ibookowner2

Quake 4 is so weak. I tried it even on medium quality and it still sucked, and i'm on a imac g5 rev. b.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If its like Doom 3... yuck. Sure its got great graphics but its basically select shotgun, open door, kill alien thingy. Select shotgun, open door, kill alien thingy and so on.

9. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

how do y'all think it'll run on a 17 inch intel imac with 512mb of ram? I'd like to get another 1 GB stick in there but can't justify the expense until i actually have money to expend. That ram's expensive...

10. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

It runs smooth here on a Single 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 with a Radeon 9800 Pro w/128MB VRAM.

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

It would be nice if you posted your settings, so that we can see how 'smooth' it is... ;)

12. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Ultra Quality 1680x1050 works in multiplayer >20fps

High Quality 1680x1050 works in single player at >20fps

13. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

It would be nice to clarify some things here.

Ultra quality and High quality inthe doom 3 engine will have no difference at all if the card cannot support 512 mbytes of textures. Textures will revert to the ones that the card can handle.

So, with your card, it's the same.

Also, you don't mention if you have all the shadowing effects turned on.

But I believe your machine can handle Doom 3 engine at High quality pretty well. I had originally a 9600XT in my G5 (see specs in my sig) and Doom 3 was running pretty well. But I couldn't see any difference in the textures between Utra and High quality.

My X800XT changed all that.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I for one enjoy playing Quake 4- plenty of action, awesome graphics, etc...

Although, I agree with Hector, the guns could have been a bit more powerful. But if one was so inclined, there is a cheat code to make your weapons four times more powerful ( here it is: give quad ). :)

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Doom3 was basically a test for the new graphics engine, with all the fancy dynamic lighting.

People who wanted original DOOM or Quake 3 type stuff, were disappointed, but true fanboys would have read that already and knew it before playing.

Quake 4 is Quake 2, skipping Quake 3 (which if you watch the Q3A intro its basically "Sarge" in Quake 2 running and then "jumping" to the Arena" so in essence Quake 3 didnt happen...).

So its Quake 2 with the DOOM3 engine.

If you liked Quake 2, youll like Quake 3.

The multiplayer is pure Q3A inspired and is not like the Solo at all in terms of some crazy shizzle.

So if you liked Q3A youll like Quake 4, at least the multi.

Quake 4 is a good game so far.....but how long that lasts remains to be seen. They even said its just another test for next gen machines graphically/etc

16. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

The difference between Ultra and High Quality are that the textures are uncompressed in Ultra Quality, that's why it says it requires so much texture memory. I believe if you video card doesn't have enough, it just loads the texture files into your normal RAM, which the video card can't access as fast, hence the game gets slower.

On High Quality, the intro video runs awesomely. On Ultra Quality, it has real problems with low frame rates and hangs. The reason that Ultra works for me alright on Multiplayer maps is because they're small and don't have near as many textures as the single player game.

I have shadows, bump mapping, high quality special effects, specular mapping, and player shadows turned on. I tried Anti-Aliasing, but my graphics card couldn't handle that in Quake with all the other stuff on.

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Until a few weeks ago I had a PC gaming rig (may he rest in peace):
    P4 3.6 GHz
    1.5 GB RAM
    SB Audigy 2
    ATi Radeon X1800 XT (512 MB VRAM)

I bought Quake 4 for it, and as it has 512 MB VRAM, the default settings were "Ultra", and as I had a 20" LCD native 1600 x 1200 rez screen, I played it at those settings...
    Well..... it was slow during the intro movie, and even crashed after about 1 minute... pretty much unplayable. Doom 3 could easily be played at Ultra settings though.

So... I only have my Quad now.. 4 GB RAM and the GeForce 7800 GT card :cool:
    You bet ya, I'll be getting the game for Mac, and trying the "Ultra" settings, but me thinks 256 MB of VRAM just won't cut it.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Running on my 2 systems

Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 ghz 2.5gb Ram Radeon X800XT

Game on High settings at 1680x1050 anamorphic checked :) All settings on except V-Sync & AA. The games is extremely smooth more so than I would have thought and never seems to chug

Intel iMac Core Duo 20" 2ghz 2gb Ram X1600 256mb

Game on High Settings but at 1344x800. Same settings as Powermac. Looks good, just not as good as the powermac. Runs very smooth no noticeable frame rate chuggers.

Game at 1680x1050 you can see framerate drops, so keep it below.

Intel iMac Core Duo 20" 2ghz 2gb Ram X1600 256mb
    BUT RUNNING WINDOWS XP & MultiCore patch for Quake 4

Basically you can run the game at full 1680x1050 without frame rate drops and it looks really good. Exactly the same as the powermac.

So basically the MultiCore patch gives you the performance boost you would have got from your better gfx card.

Let's hope Aspyr put out the dualcore patch asap? Or is it already integrated?

--------------
    Can't seem to get console running? What are the keyboard shortcuts for console?

19. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Look at my specs below in my G5. I have enabled Ultra Quality (although my card doesn't have so much VRAM) and all advanced settings except V-sync and Anti Aliasing. I run the game in 1024x768.

It runs absolutely smooth.

The only problem is that it has much load times and that sometimes I get hickups while playing when my computer tries to load the next rooms.

I was surprised to see that quake 4 runs smoother than Doom 3 on my machine. The optimization done was remarkable.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Take off ULTRA and go high. You wont be able to tell the difference. Then run the game in a higher resolution. If I can run at 1680x1050 on my powermac 1.8 with X800XT you should too even though I have more ram/ you have more cpu...

The difference between 1024x768 & 1680x1050 is VAST in comparison to Ultra mode...

21. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You are right. Although the difference is small, I see a vast improvement in load times and general gameplay. I will keep it at that... I also increased my resolution at 1280x1024.

22. Mlord macrumors newbie

Mlord

What an I Doing Wrong ???

My System..

Dual 2 G G5
    ATI 9650 (256M ram)
    2.5 Gig Ram
    OS X 10.4.6

AA Of
    Vertical Sync Off

1024 x 768 High Quality (most probably should be low right?)

Still does not cut the grade... Its Jerky..

Will a game ever be smooth on a (Dual G5) mac ???

I'm Sick of buying games that are not optimized for Mac.

23. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think your grfx card is not up to it.

Get a Radeon X1800 XT, or GeForce 6800 Ultra.... whichever is cheapest.
    Both do well at Doom 3 / Quake 4.

24. Mlord macrumors newbie

Mlord

Its a bugger I upgraded the standard card to a 9650 for nothing.. Now its really worth that...

Oh Well...

Will check this out...

Thank you MacsRgr8...

‘’’’\\\
    O O
       J
    (---)   _
             []
            [  ]
            [  ]
    Matt

(Muzak non-stop, Beer o'clock)

25. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well, I remember reading a review about 9650 and I saw that it was slower than the 9600XT which was my previews card before I installed my X800XT.

I played doom 3 at high settings and ran pretty decently, but it was Doom 3, which ha no more than 2 enemies in front of th player at a time. You are not doing anything wrong with it, it's just your graphics card.

When it comes to today's games, 256 mbytes of memory do not necessarily mean faster gameplay. They must be clocked at a higher frequency and support many opengl and DirectX funxtions.

Quake 3 if far more optimized than Doom 3 was, and I think we owe that not only to Aspyr, but to ID also, which updated their engine in the first plac and made porting easier.