Quake 4 Specs

Discussion in 'Games' started by iriejedi, Feb 2, 2006.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Sounds reasonable - but if it performs like Doome 3 does - I give up... a dual 2.5 G5 with a nvidea 6800 ultra should kick butt - but sigh Doom 3 really dissapointed me.....

I think I will wait for reviews or put the $50 towards a 360 and rent it.

QUAKE 4 Requirements Set
    8:20 AM | Tuncer Deniz | 5 comments

The final system requirements for the upcoming shooter, QUAKE 4, have been finalized, according to a note from Aspyr Media this morning. The long-awaited sequel to QUAKE II, QUAKE 4 enlists gamers in the role of Matthew Kane, a member of the legendary Rhino Squad, to penetrate deep into the heart of the Strogg war machine and engage in a series of heroic missions to destroy the barbaric alien race.

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
    CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel chipset
    CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz or faster
    Memory: 512 MB or higher
    Hard Disk Space: 3 GB free disk space
    Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better*
    Video Card (NVidia): GeForce 6600 or better*
    Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher
    Media Required: DVD Drive
    Multiplayer: Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. Internet
    play requires broadband connection.

QUAKE 4 is set to ship in March 2005 and is currently available for pre-order at Macgamestore.com

2. mingisback macrumors regular

it's good to see games coming out as Universal Binaries.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And they're the minimum specs....

That's the problem with mac gaming. Even if you have a dual powermac with a decent graphics card, the performance compared to p.c. or new consoles, leaves a lot to be desired...

That being said, I have Quake 4 on the Xbox 360 and it's not great... I mean in every sense, graphically & gameplay & audio wise...

Multiplayer is really bad.... really really bad... :eek:

4. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Thanks

SWEET! - Just saved me $60 bucks!

:p

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Hope it runs well on my dual 2x2.5 with x800xt. See sig. What do you think?

I saw this game on PC and seems to run quite well.

I really liked it, and I hope it is a good addition to quake series (unlike Doom 3 for the doom series which was horrible).

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nope its the same as Doom 3.... Well I admit it's a little better than Doom 3, but the irony being the limited edition packaging comes with Quake 2, which still plays better than Quake 4 and that's saying somthing.....

Quake 3 fantastic online, Quake 4 has the most lack lustre levels I have ever seen on a multiplayer game in a number of years.. Truly appaling..

Oh there's an Xbox 360 demo available on the Live Marketplace that you can download for free .Definetly Try before you Buy..

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Damn.. no SMP support?

I heard there was some rumbling that Quake 4 could be the first SMP PC game (and Id was working on it..?).
    OK.. agreed... has nothing to do with the Mac-port.. but still.

I have played this game on:
    P4 3.6 GHz (560 HT)
    1.5 GB RAM
    ATi Radeon X800 XT 256 MB VRAM

and...

<same specs... grfx card upgrade:>
    ATi Radeon X1800 XT 512 MB VRAM

Once installing the 512 MB VRAM card, the game wants to configure itself to "ultimate quality"..... Yeah.... right. FORGET IT!! (settings: 1600 x 1200, no AA, no AF)
    Quake IV crashed many times, and was terribly slow. Got it back to "high quality", and no problems.
    BTW.... this game EATS RAM. < 1 GB??? It'll be swapping heavily..... not a good idea (on the PC that is).

So, I have a Quad G5, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 7800 GT.... >>> gimme Quake 4 :D

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Aint that the point.. To game on a mac you have to spend over $4000 on a decent rig to get a decent framerate and resolution.. When for a tenth of that price you can get yourself a 360 core and a copy of the game....

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep, you are right.

Problem in Mac gaming versus PC gaming, is that only the most über PowerFull (read: EXPENSIVE) Mac out there can really cut it.
    We all know that you can custom build a PC specifically for gaming, for 25% of the price of the über gamer(??)-Mac.

Quake 4 on a PC?
    Just upgrade your CPU, and GPU.

Quake 4 on your G5..? Just hope you have a 2.3 GHz..... nothing else you can do about it! (grfx cards also depend..)

There is no way of, say, getting a single 2.7 GHz G5, with PCI-E grfx GeForce 7800. Those kind of custom built Macs would be considered custom built gaming Macs..... (stranger things have happened!!! ;) )

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Buzz. There have been many SMP PC games. Not all of them have been 'big name', though. The first major 'big name' SMP PC game was... (Drum roll, please,) Quake 3 Arena. I know, because I worked for Intel's server division when it came out, and we installed it on an 8-way Xeon system running Linux, just for fun. (It was amazingly smooth at 1600x1200.)

And Q4 for PC supports SMP with a patch; and since the Mac has embraced SMP for a lot longer than the PC world, it makes sense that this SMP capability would be transferred. (Although I can't find any official yes OR no.)