Quake 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by javabear90, Oct 18, 2005.

1. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

So... quake 4 looks pretty sweet. Do you know if it is coming out for Mac or not?
    It's already being pirated :eek:

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

It better be...

I saw it played at E3 2005. It looks a lot like Doom 3, extreme violence and gore. All I want is Quake 3 with better graphics. :rolleyes:

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

All i want is a good Quake game. 1 was excellent, 2 was ok, 3 was terrible (no singleplayer boo-hoo). smells like we're back in single player land again. I'll take a look at Quake 4. they say if your machine runs Doom 3 then Quake 4 will be fine, maybe better [optimisation]

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Was quake III ported or was it transtioned in house by activision?

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Omni Group did the port, then id Software took care of the updates. Or something like that. I'm not really sure about the details of who did what.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Are you serious? Quake 3 is considered by many to be the best multiplayer FPS ever made (me included). But yes it's single player was laughable, to say the least. It's my favorite game ever, besides Diablo, so I can't wait for Quake IV! I'm so tired of Unreal Tournament. Give me my rail gun! :mad:

I could be wrong... but I think id Software ported it directly, or at least my Q3:TA was an id release.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont get so excited, i just got this months PC Gamer and it only got a 70 out of 100 :cool: They busted on the outside graphics textures had to be turned down for the engine or something.Said it was just another old school shooter with nothing new to offer. FEAR looks cooler to me and with so many titles coming i cant bother with a title unless it gets at least a 80% by PC Gamer. I will have to wait on a demo of this one. I have been playing the FEAR Demo and its pretty good.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

count me in there, too. amazingly playable. i was seriously addicted to multiplayer CTF instagib rail for a while.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

heh. I was one of those annoying snipers with the railgun. Pissed off a many players with my deadly accurate sniping. :D

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no camping! the best rail players shoot while moving. especially shooting a different direction than they're moving.

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Yes. FEAR is pretty nice. Best played with headphones, in total darkness :D

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hell yea. Or normal CTF, and then the space map would come up and everyone would bitch about the BFG. :D

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's pretty much the other way round. Omni Group did a final update and version 1.32 was re-released for Mac OS X.

I'm looking forward to Quake 4 but if it doesn't come, there should be another Unreal Tournament.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

excellent! Thats what im after. I love the old skool, thats why I liked Doom 3 because it was just a graphical update of Doom 1+2. if they changed the gameplay then I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Same for this Quake game. if its the same then im in there! I'm not expecting it to be amazingly good though. no instant classic or anything like that. just another good revisit to the old skool.

See Quake 3 was probably good but I've never been a fan of online FPS's. its faaar from the best, wouldn't the best have an equally good single and multiplayer? :rolleyes:

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Downloading as we speak :D

Looks veeery coool - it plays like Quake 3, but it looks like Doom3

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Uhhhh if you recall Quake 3 was built on the premise that online multiplayer FPS was the wave of the future, LO AND BEHOLD IT IS!!!!! (halo2 comes to mind) They didnt think single player was what people wanted anymore, plus the storyline of Quake is weak at best anyhow. In fact all of IDs games before Doom 3 had crap for plots.

Anyway, ID decided that Quake 1 was just Doom with better graphix and a nice Nine inch Nails soundtrack.

Quake 2 was their attempt at a story line with dynamic lighting. not bad.

Quake 3 was ID saying, "well we made the FPS (original "GUTENTAG" wolfenstein) lets make the multiplayer FPS go online" and they deilvered, with opengl making its appearance.

Q3 is basically, today, an excercise in frame rate superiority. Q3 is still awesome to play, but Team Arena like for Quake 1/2 before it, made it FAR better.

if you didnt like Q3 cuz it had crap for single player, you shouldnt be playing it.

17. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

That was one of the problems of DOOM3 though - it was nothing like the original games. The originals hurled dozens of monsters at you at once, and was very very fast gameplay. Serious Sam was similar to the original Dooms, except without the dark, demonic overtones. Doom3 on the otherhand took place in small, dark corridors and threw one, perhaps 2 guys at you at once. While the original games could be quite frightening at times, Doom3 was nothing more than a laughing joke with its bad writing and "storyline" that went no where.

18. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Did you actually play through the game? I found the plot to be pretty engaging. Or did you just play the demo? You can play Doom 3 as fast as you want. On nightmare difficulty you lose health every second and you get the Soul Cube to regenerate. Fast enough?

Although the game tends to focus on small encounters, later in the game groups of 5 or even 7 are normal. I would have liked more monsters. But personally, I find pentagrams, hanging corpses that say "help me", and unholy words written on walls with blood... rather frightening. Or maybe you didn't get to that part.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree that doom3 was engaging. lights out, sound up, @3 a.m. heightened it nicely.

then again, i'm audio-centric. hearing nearing footsteps and faroff baby voices is disconcerting to me.

i thought the pyschological scare tactics were good. i thought the startling monster-popping-out-from-behind-a-panel tactics were lame. why was that demon hiding behind a wall panel? how long was he there? didn't he get bored?

20. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

:D

21. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yep I played the entire game. In the end I had to force myself to play it, simply because I didn't want to tell my friend how badly it played just to have him say "but you didn't even play the entire thing!".

I personally find the original DOOM and DOOM2 to be far more enjoyable and exciting. Hanging corpses and blood on the walls mean nothing to me when there is a guy in the background shouting to me in a corny voice "Soon you will die and your soul will be mine! BWAHAHAHA!" Yeah, great writing there :rolleyes:

22. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Okay yeah that part was very cheesy. He just kept repeating himself. :D Dang it would've been sweet if a monster came out of a monitor Ring-style.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Doom 3 was very engaging. does depend on how you play it. first time i played through i just crawled through uber-slowly. thinking that it was a little on the boring (but atmospheric side) I set myself time challenges and thats when the game picked up.

going to get Quake 4 sometime soon. May be a good romp. I half liked Quake 2, mainly the story brought it up for me. so in theory i should half like Quake 4 too...

24. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Quake IV for Linux is available now.

How long was the delay between the the Linux and OS X port of DOOM III?

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

wow that was fast! is it usually that fast? sorry im not up to speed on Linux porting :)