Quake 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dont Hurt Me, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Havent seen many posts on this game, im about halfway through the game and its been fun. Its more of a resource hog then Doom3. Im getting only about 60 fps in 1280 x 1024, with Doom3 i was getting high 60s. Its been a pretty straight shooter ill admit but it also has had some very good moments. Spoiler alert! Hover Tank is Cool and i wanted more, Getting your legs and arms wacked off was a very strange feeling to say the least but watching it happen first to the guy in front of you really sucks! Im just past this point in the game thank god my teammates rescue me just before my brain implant. I bet the xbox360 crowd are enjoying this one.

2. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Spoiler!

I admit, I found the game pretty boring.
    But after they chopped off almost all your extremities the game becomes really fast. Lots of action and great weapons!

Me liked that!

-Played it on a PC

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yes, but id may wait till the Mactels

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, id usually release in-house Linux versions of their games. Maybe with the move to Intel, they will release Mac versions too, because going from Linux to Mac is relatively simple.

The great advantage of this is that you can buy the Windows version and download a free patch for Mac support. No more hunting for Mac versions (and paying a premium for them) :)

7. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Taking my time and enjoying it, This game is under rated in my view. I think i like it as much as Doom3 maybe more. Its a honest shooter. But i miss the free roam of Far Cry. Makes for very sweet gameplay vs take this path ,stay on path and keep shooting bad guys on the path. Spoiler! Just started with the Mech Robot and its been fun...i'd give it a 8 out of 10 from what i have seen so far. Not Stellar but a solid shooter.

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Good news! Aspyr's porting it.
    InsideMacGames

9. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!! I CAN"T WAIT!!! it better be a good port though....

10. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good news indeed for Mac lovers. Bad news for Mac users with anything less then G5. If you can run Doom3 ok you are in the game.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i've been playing throught it off and on and am nowhere near completion, but Dont Hurt Me, I have to ask: what settings are you using to get 60fps on a 6800gt at 1280x1024? i'm not sure what framerate i have (don't know how to check) but it's really laggy with high settings and no aa on my x800. i'm going to turn off bump maps and maybe specular lighting next time i run it to see if that helps. i've noticed myself getting worse performance than other people with comparable video cards...i wonder if my copy's bad or something?

12. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

everything on, no AA no vert sync. thats about it. What are you feeding that video card with?

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thank goodness they're only paying to port it and Raven is actually doing the job. They worked on the custom Quake III Arena engine that supported Star Trek Voyager Elite Force and others.

It should be interesting, even if it isn't as buggy as it would have been.

14. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I don't think I've ever played a more uninspired FPS.

Well, unless you count Doom 3.

Actually, it was slightly worse than Doom 3. And the multiplayer is more or less Quake III Arena (although, I would argue that Q3A was more fun than this).

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

venice core 3500+, 2gb ram, abit an-8 motherboard. i've also noticed this in doom 3 and half-life 2 and other games. my system seems to be significantly slower than very closely spec'd systems in benchmarks :confused:
    i'm sure your card is much faster (given the better clock speed and 4 more pipelines) but it just seems strange that i get lag and you get 60fps...
    oh well. it's still a great game regardless of frame rates at very high setings :p

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I get 60 FPS on Doom 3 on my P4 3ghz, 1.5gb ram, ATI X800 Xt PE.
    On Expansion I get the same except when on certain sections the xray wall makes my FrameRate crawl.

On Quake 4 I get about the same (sometimes slightly more).

Running at 1280x768 High textures, no antialising, 8x antistropy.

I know you would get more with Nvidia as ID optimised the game for their cards more so than ATI.

On my mac with Doom 3, Dual 1.8 G5, 2.5gig ram, X800 XT as well (so similar spec) I get average 21 Fps with drops at 1280x1024. Same settings.

Now that's crap! Seriously, Why such a drop?

Quake 4 has appalling Multiplayer. What on earth were ID thinking. When quake 3 came out it was great, it was a hard toss between that and unreal tournament. since then UT has developed and evolved with UT2004 being absolutley fantastic online and a great port on the mac.

Quake 4 multiplayer is less fun and the most unispired levels I've seen. Amatuer modder have produced better. :mad:

17. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Seriously now, ID had the rumor to be one of the best game devs out there, and what they always did was to produce good FPS.

I don't know what happened, everything since quake 3 arena was a disaster. Doom 3 was simply a mediocre game in terms of gameplay. I think that they are not going to survive the battle against Epic in FPS...

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's like theyve spent the last few years working on the 'doom 3' engine which to me seems very limited so far, all the games using it have the same big plasitcy monsters with shiny skin. 'PREY' using the same enine looks the same, seriously it just looks like an expansion for Doom 3.

Epic have the Unreal Engine which triumphs the 'Doom 3' engine in the versatility front with far more developers signed up to use it in forthcoming projects.

Unreal Tournament 2006/7 Looks amazing on screen shots and Gears Of War looks breathtaking too.

I.D may have won the battle with Quake 3, but Epic won the WAR.

19. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I forgot to tell you to turn on the frame rates pull up the console,,,control/alt/~ type in............. com_showfps 1 that turns it on , 0 turns it off.

Also the Doom3 engine does better with nvidia cards then ati.

20. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I agree with this. It's bizarre - things look as though they've come pre-moulded. And the speech on the characters looks bad. They look as though they're chewing golf balls when they speak.

21. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just finished the game and think it was a better shooter then Doom3. The Nexus core is non stop action. You want to have non stop action the core is it. Until the nexus is destroyed the game will just keep throwing bad guys your way and all of them. What a challenge staying alive while fighting these guys.

The outside enviroments arent all that i will admit and it does seem the engine isnt very well at rendering large area's or the outside. The best outside rendering are Far Crys engine and HL2. If this game would have came out first people would be talking about Quake 4 more so then Doom 3. I give it a 8.5 out of 10 but you better have a powerful system to enjoy it. Next up is F.E.A.R:D

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I agree it is a much better game than Doom 3.

F.E.A.R is excellent, but very short its great for multiplayer though. Graphically it was solid but again at times very generic, Condemned on the 360 is nicer (also by monolith) the rats in FEAR are the size of dogs and look like they have about 4 polygons..... Enemies become very generic too, but it is a better game than Quake and it definetly has that must finish this level quality (although that makes the game's shortness even more apparent)..