Quake 4?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamesmcd, Mar 6, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I remember reading somewhere that Quake 4 for Mac was coming out late February. Well, it is now March 7th and I haven't heard anything.

Is Quake 4 out or not? If not, when is it arriving? Got to get another game for my Intel Mac since most of my old ones run like a sick dog.

2. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I think it's coming out the 28th of March now...

3. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

You can order Quake 4 for mac on amazon.com. I have already placed my order a few weeks ago (pre order) and it shows it shipped yesterday.

4. csTYCOON macrumors newbie

Its not that amazing, i mean, its like Doom3. Pretty generican storyline, etc.

I won it off the net, and never played the whole game start to end.:mad:

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I enjoyed the game more so then Doom3, PowermacG5 only and perhaps the newest iMacs, everyone else should forget it in the MacWorld because its a bigger hog then Doom3 hardware wise in my view. It was fun and i did play it to the end. 4 out 5.

6. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

oohhhh that's probably very true, but lets not scare the mac community too soon ;) Maybe it'll not be all that bad on the h/w reqs..? hmmm

Quake4 pre-ordered here from Amazon! Cannot wait :D

Strider

7. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Aspyr's website has sysreq's. They want a G5 or Intel chip, 1.67GHz or faster, with a Radeon 9600/GeForce 6600 or better (note the absence of the 5200, so even some iMac G5's won't be supported, if they can play it). It's going to be a killer, no way around it, but it should be good. I've heard mostly good things about it...I enjoyed Doom 3, too..

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Too late for the retail product, but being worked on anyway as a free patch to be released later, is a SMP version. So anyone with two (or more) cores/CPUs will get what is apparently a pretty sizeable speed increase. For PPC, that's just Power Macs, but fortunately I have one of those. :)

--Eric

9. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

wats the storyline for the game, and if sum1 has played it on pc, is the multiplayer good?

10. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i like being able to have a flashlight attached to the gun. imagine that.

11. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

I think the multiplayer aspect is what most of us are interested in... the SP part of the game can only keep one entertained for what, a couple of days?

12. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

you can get that in doom3 too.. just try Green Tech mod. Of course, apologies if i've misunderstood you :rolleyes:

HTH

Strider

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Statistically, most of us are interested in the SP part of the game. Even UT2007 is going to have more attention on the single-player experience, because most people still don't play on-line. Unless you cheat, SP should take a couple of weeks...or a couple of days, sure, if you can play 10+ hours a day, which most of us don't. :)

--Eric

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I get bored of multiplayers. Been playing CS and HL2 online for a bit, they're alright but there's no story. theres nothing gripping you in there. its just kill kill kill. at least in an FPS.

15. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Killing is good for you! But you shock me saying the above, esp. when it's coming from someone with a domain name like http://satansam.co.uk/ :D

Strider

16. GyroFX macrumors 6502

i would just like to know if there are going to be more games optimized for multi core CPUs. I have a Quad and i'm interested to know if there are games that'll take advantage of that aspect. BTW: in no way am i using the Quad sololy for game playing, that would be a waste. I just want to know the possibilities, thanx

17. valiar macrumors regular

Radeon 9600?

Does anyone know if it will work acceptably on a Radeon 9600XT? I have the stock video in my dual 2.5 G5... Should I even bother?
    Doom 3 was very playable on my computer...

18. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i meant without having to use mods.

19. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

If you thought Doom 3 was fine, then Quake 4 will be fine since it uses the same engine. There is more AI stuff going on, but that will be balanced out by the SMP patch, so you can use both CPUs. It might end up running better than Doom3 actually.

--Eric

20. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Quake 4 is AMAZING. I have it (PC) and it is great. It takes a heafty graphics card (Nvidia 6600 or better) on the PC side. So I'm curious to see how it performs on my PM. I can't wait.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sucks on 360 though ;)

I would have thought a 9600xt would be appaling on the game, I tried Doom 3 on a powermac G5 2.5 with 9600xt and it was barely playable on medium settings. On my Powermac with ATI X800XT it play's grand.. GFX card will make a big difference..