Quake III Demo for Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by atmenterprises, Feb 25, 2006.

1. atmenterprises macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have an iMac w/Intel and I downloaded the Mac Quake III demo from ID Software's site. However, after unarchiving the .bin file, the installer file (Quake 3 Demo Install) has a circle with a line through it. When I double-click it, I get You cannot open the application "" because it is not supported on this system.

So I selected the file and from Finder did a File -> Get Info and it says that the application type is Application (Classic). So it sounds like to me that this is an OS 9 app. Is there an OS X download for the Quake III Demo? (And I know that if it will run, it'll run under Rosetta but I want to see how it looks before I try to buy a legit copy of the software.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Michael

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

I think you just need to replace the application itself. The app can be downloaded here, and should just use the demo files to run.

3. atmenterprises thread starter macrumors regular

Well...

I downloaded the UB version and tried to run it and it says that it needs the location of the retail version install folder...

The OS 8 version I downloaded earlier only unzips to one file - the installer...so I can't get it to actually install any demo files for me to use with the new UB version.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Michael

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, other than the actual game app itself, the files are universal across all platforms. You could try to download the PC or Linux versions of the demo to get those files.