Quality difference between glossy/matte?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Josias, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Now, since I have a MacBook, and my old laptop had a matte screen, as well as my brother's iBook, I'm pretty experienced with both kinds. Now, since I've decided for my next MBP to be a Core 2 or Core 3 MBP. I'll buy one as soon as they ship with iLife '07 and Leopard.

Anyways, I know about reflection/viewing angle issues on glossy, and stop whining about these, all I wanna know is, how great is the improvement in image quality. I don't wanna hear about: "The extra quality is not worth the reflection." I just want to know excactly the difference. I have seen Matte MBP's, yet I have no chance of seeign a real life Glossy MBP. So, if anyone could post comparison pics of the two screens. I saw a comparison video on YouTube between a MacBook and glossy MacBook Pro, but it was hard to tell the difference, due to low quality. So, anyone got any tips? Sorry for a long post...:p

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Well if you disregard reflections and glare, the glossy screens are better than matte screens. Glossy provides more vibrant, sharp and realistic colors whereas matte screens are a little dull.

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

finally saw a glossy mbp at the apple store today. now i have to have a glossy mbp. waiting for merom...

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I had a look at the Glossy and Matte screens first I liked Glossy but I think Matte is nicer

5. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

It was hard to tell the difference because MacBooks ship with glossy screens. So basically, you were looking at two glossy screens.

I have tried both matte and glossy and prefer glossy. Glossy screens seem more "alive" and make everything look crisper and more vibrant. I find matte screens very dull.

6. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I agree with this. I prefer glossy screens.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Glossy is not more realistic. It may "look better" but its definitely not true color. A matte display is still the default display for the Pro's because it is true to life.

8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

There must be a reason you can choose either glossy or matte with the MBP and glossy is standard on the cheaper MBs

9. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

There isn't one.

Some people prefer the (false) vibrancy of a glossy screen, some don't, but no qualitative 'improvement' exists.

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

If there was I think they'd charge more :D Its really preference. I prefer both but Matte I didnt have to wait a week for :D

11. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

I think the glossy is excellent on my MB. I am curious though as to why milozauckerman claims the glossy screens don't offer proper colors? Isn't a red a red, or is there more to it? I'm training to be an engineer so I'm not afraid of a higher level discussion or article somewhere that explains this. Not trying to stir up trouble, just trying to understand.

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

hehe.. definitely not a design student, this one. :p

13. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

Ahaha! I'm just a silly engineer :D

14. aog macrumors newbie

aog

I compared two 17" MBP´s at the Apple Store, one glossy and one matte, I didn´t notice a big difference, the glossy wasn´t that reflective but I´d take the matte. It comes down to personal preference I guess.

15. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

People think that glossy screens have better quality color, because people are attracted to shiny things. Just like monkeys.

16. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

i have a macbook and macbook pro (for now) i like them both, but i would take the matte. glossy looks good- but fake. colors seem TOO real

17. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Thanks for all the answers. In my first post I wrote, that I saw a comparison video of a glossy MB, and glossy MBP. I meant a glossy MB and matte MBP, but I couldn't tell the difference between either, because of porr quality.

The only problem I have with the reflection is, when I sit in a car. It's completely usless there, you can see nothing. Also the viewing angle. It's so annoying when I watch a movie with 2-3 of my friends. We have to sit glued against eachother, if we all have to see (I gotta get a Mini-DVI to S-Video/Composite adapter so can hook it up to out TV:p ). This is due to the poor viewing angle on glossy screens. Now, since I also like to watch movies in the car with my brothers, glossy is definiantly not good either.:(

So, right now I'm voting for matte, but not until I see a proper comparison can I decide....

If anyone could pos comparison pics form those Apple stores, please do;)

18. shecky Guest

shecky

exactly the difference is that a glossy screen will seem more saturated and bright, whereas a matte screen will seem what i would consider more "natural" looking. its a personal preference that i liken to glossy vs. matte photographs; i find glossy photos to be cheesy and less honest; whereas matte shows the true nature of the image.

also since i often have more than just myself looking at my laptop (client meetings, etc.) the matte is the only option as the glare, which is not ridiculous compared to other glossy laptops, is enough to be problematic when 5 people are looking at the laptop around a table.