Quality Loss with iDVD & iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fh2level, Apr 29, 2006.

1. fh2level macrumors regular

fh2level

Why is there such a quality loss from what a project looks like on screen to when you create a DVD with iDVD or encode (even back to DV) with iMovie??? This is very disapointing It looks amazing on my computer then all jaggeddy when on a dvd even when played on a tv.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I've heard of this but only when someone has "fast" action type footage but most home movies of the kids, family and whatnot seem fine. I know some of the stuff I've done looks good but then again it's been about 6mths. since I've played around with both.
    I guess a good example for me was using two different types of MiniDV cams, Canon and a JVC, shooting a couple views of Niagara Falls and there was a big difference after using iMovie and then finishing with iDVD. I know that the water (rapids) looked better using the JVC, less "fuzz" and jagged edges but this may not be iMovie or iDVD at all since the test I did was for the two cams. and not the apps.
    Now as far as putting in a slideshow my pictures were great until iDVD was done. Before I used iDVD I watched the slideshow on my tv and thought it looked nice but as stated after using iDVD it was just okay.
    It's been hard to tell since I'm not a power user but play around enough to tell that something is not right or really consistant.
    I would really like to try using FC Express and see what happens but really I'm using an HD tv, MiniDV cam and then iMovie HD so maybe it's just that combo that I can see things that I wouldn't on a "regular" tv.
    Sorry that this doesn't really give you help but I think your not alone either if that part helps :eek: ;)

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

DVD quality MPEG-2 is, relatively speaking, crap (pretty much the only worse format is VHS) so when you start out on DV and end up on DVD your footage is taking a big quality hit.

Lethal

4. fh2level thread starter macrumors regular

fh2level

I guess it is the huge quality loss from DV to MPEG2. I mean it is good enough since I am just doing it for my pleasure but was excited to see all the transitions and Menus to look as good on TV as they did while I was making it on my computer. I dont' have an HD camera but it is 3CCD so the quality is great (in DV format) I have only made a few videos so far with my MBP but I have also known that even when I save a video to .dv format in iMovie the "Themes" and Transistions Still lose a good deal of quality from what they looked like in editing.