Quality of inkjet vs. laser printer?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coopdog, Dec 18, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    I'm printing out some color pictures I took and edited them in Photoshop at 1200 DPI. I'm printing them with my HP 600 max DPI inkjet and they come out very poor.

In PS I did not enlarge the pictures or change the resolution so there is no quality loss there. It's for a school final project so I need the images looking as good a possible.

When I print with my inkjet there are clear printing lines where the inkjet started a new line and the quality is poor looking at the pictures up close. Also the colors were kind of oversaturated.

I was thinking of taking them to a printing store or kinkos where they have 1200 DPI laser printers. Would I notice a big difference between the 600 dpi inkjet print and the 1200 dpi laser print? Also would the oversaturation problem be fixed? Thanks a lot! :)
  2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Just a thought

I had the samething happen to me with my printer (in my sig). Turns out I had the paper set to Normal when I was using Photo Paper. Be sure your paper type is correct in the print driver in the program.
  3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    using the right paper is EXTREMELY important when you are using an ink jet printer....if you want good photo prints DO NOT use regular bond paper or even "inkjet" paper.....you definitely need a "photo" quality paper that's compatible with your printer

as for laser printers and color, they usually aren't as good as an ink jet for photos

again....get high quality paper if you want high quality ink jet prints
  4. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    You would see a differene if you took it to kinko's, as the poster said above paper is very important. at kinko's they will have a better printer and good paper. the photo kiosk they in some of their stores are cheap and print good quality pictures.
  5. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    Thanks for the replies. For my final print I'm going to be printing on to Teslin

So I'll see how it goes!