Quality Speakers that match the Apple theme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mustard, Mar 29, 2007.

1. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I am currently upgrading my office with a new multi-monitor mount with screen rotation (Yippe) for my two gorgeous 30 ACDs and are currently looking for a 2.1 Speaker set up that will compliment the Apple aesthetic.

I have a set of JBL Creature 2s in silver that are just pass there prime (beat to crap and chewed on by the dogs) and looking for the next step up that still look pleasing.

My Listening Needs:
    iTunes
    DVDs

I am not crazy with audio sampling/editing but it happens on occasion and I am audiophile in that I know what sounds good and try to appreciate it (at the correct price - NO $500 setups please)

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

3. mustard thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustard

Can't do - currently one is having the LCD Panel replaced via AppleCare (aprox 20 stuck green/blue pixels in a 1.5 in by 1.5 in area) but it will be returned monday - hopefully at the same time as my mount gets delivered.

I will post a pic when I am back up to full capacity - screen wises that is

4. JDN macrumors 6502a

JBL Encounters match the apple theme. But i think they only come in white, so might not match your apple theme. Worth a look though.

Also, Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 are silver (apart from the sub, but you can hide that) and look good. They also sound good and don't cost a fortune.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The old JBL Invaders were a silver 4.1 set. They don't make them anymore, but maybe you could find some on eBay.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Buy these right now. :) They're not "high end" "audiophile" speakers, but they're in a totally different class than the JBL Creatures and the best 2.1's you can get for under $250.

7. mustard thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustard

I currently have a 2.1 setup so hiding a sub is not a big deal.

What is the quality of the newer Klipsch Speaker's - When I still had my Rev A PowerMac G5 I was all for using the optical out and tried two different sets of there 5.1s and both had a horrible humming/whine.

I have looked at the Altec Lansing FX6021 and like them esthetically but have heard mixed reviews - any reviews would be appreciated.

8. mustard thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustard

Do you have a set - if so what is your take on them?

I do agree they look nice thou - I have always been drawn to them but never found an store environment that I could actual judge them in sound wise.

9. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

I just bought the Altec Lansings this week - sound quality is excellent for the price, form factor and target market - they also produce a good stereo seperation even placed either side of my iMac 17". Straight out of the box they were a little bright and woofy for my my ears but with a little adjustment now they're fine.

Previously I was playing the sound through my iPod HiFi - the FX6021's produce a far better experience than that did so I'm very happy.

Only slight grumble I have with then is a slight hum when they're on but silent - I didn't yet search the web to see if this was a "feature" or a fault - it doesn't detract when music is being played but you certainly notice otherwise.

I paid 174EUR for them here in Belgium, I'd be suprised if you couldn't find them for well under $200 Stateside.

10. mustard thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustard

Those look descent but if I was looking for something like that I would use an old pair off CC# Infinitys I have lying around. I am looking for a slightly more compact desk solution but thanks for the insight.

These may be a viable option for my next office (cheaper and larger when my wife gets transferred back to the midwest)

11. mustard thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustard

Thanks for the review

+1 for the FX6021

I am going to hold off for more reviews since there are currently no really good deals with expirations before the end of next month.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Just an aside...I know that one still needs computer speakers, but for music I find the combination the ALAC format files and Airport Express to the stereo to be a fanstastic solution.

13. mustard thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustard

I totally agree but my Home Theater is at the other end of the condo and is more than capable but would severally piss off the neighbors - I am needing a manageable system for the office for use during business hours, the rest of the house is already wired for sound.

One of my neighbors is a stay at home mother with young children so I try to be nice even thought my HT setup would suffice, she is really cool and understanding during the evening and weekend hours when I watch movies with the wife.

14. Guilfox macrumors member

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I got my Altec Lansing FX6021's about two weeks ago ($180+shipping from NewEgg) and they're amazing. By far the best speakers I've ever owned. And they look perfect next to an ACD or two.