Qualms with the mother land

Discussion in 'Community' started by Perci Mac, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Perci Mac macrumors member

I'm on vacation in the UK and have enjoyed myself thouroughly, I return tomarrow. It is a beautiful country with excellent culture, but I do have some questions for native Brits.

1: Why is everything so expensive?
    A: Do you have minimum wage, if so how much?
    2: Why are all the drivers in such a hurry? I swear to god i've almost been killed about 5 times by insane drivers going 70 mph down narrow streets.
    3:Why are the British so anti-American? Don't they realize that we are on the same side and the common enemy is Saddam?

2. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Qualms with the mother land

In answer too.....

1: it's called VAT and it's 17.5% an it's nasty!!

1.A: £3.60 18 to 21 per hour
    £4.50 22 and over per hour

2:It's because you're american and keep looking the wrong way before you cross.... I jest.... :p Unfortunately the UK has more than it's fair share of boy racers..... :rolleyes:

3: Hmmmm..... I don't know anyone personally who is anti american.... unfortunately we also have our fair share of a**holes too!! :rolleyes: Ignore those that hassle you..... sometimes brits (not all of course, I don't wish to stereotype) can be less than welcoming to foreign visitors.... I like the yanks personally!!

So where you been?? what you seen?? ;) :)

G

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah, VAT is the same as sales tax, but it's the same amount (percentage-wise) everywhere in the country, unlike state to state in the US, it is already calculated into the price though, what you see, is what you pay. I've been in NCY for 4.5 yrs now and still forget about adding tax to the ticket price, it sucks seeing something for say, $9.99 and you have a $10 bill in your pocket, you can't buy it, as you have yet to add tax (depending on what state you're in obviously).
    also, gas/petrol prices, disgusting. i believe England has the cheapest gas in Europe, before the Government taxes it, when it then becomes the most expensive (correct me if i'm wrong), something like 85% tax??? I think it works out at roughly $7 a gallon! and everyone in NYC complains that gas here is close to $2!!!
    it also depends where you are, and what you're buying. for instance, how cool is it that you can buy a round of beers, with coins!? I bought a bottel of Stella and a Corona at a bar last night, $11 plus $2 tip. that's about £7.50 for two bottles of beer, now that is about 3 times the price I'm used to paying back home in Bedford, England.

minumum wage, no idea, but i'll go with iGav on that.

speeding, there's a lot of idiots on the roads, sure, same as anywhere, have you seen NYC cab drivers??? I think that in England though, we're used to higher speeds, and narrower streets/lanes, and corners too ;) so the confidence level is that much higher on the roads. Having driving a lot in both London and NYC I can assure you that driving in NYC is a doddle compared to London.

as far as anti-american? i can understand you saying that, i think there's a not so nice stereotype of "yanks" that sticks, probably not helped by Hollywood, and the belief that America rules the world. The English can be the same, I have grown to dislike a lot about the country since I've been in the States, especially some of the people. So don't take it personally. If you're polite, and have respect, you'll be looked after I'm sure.

so yeah, where did you go etc etc etc?????
    any pics???

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Re: Qualms with the mother land

These protestors are just anti-US, not anti war, they just like a chance to protest. There problem is that they envy the US (like most of the rest of the world) so they want to do as much as posible to make America worst off. Also the reason you see the protestors is that they go to tourist places so they can be seen.

5. iGav macrumors G3

NYC taxi's are total speed demons.... when I was in NYC a couple of years ago, they were like maxing it at every traffic light..... I was pinned to the back seat... abit like that Chili Peppers video...

As for the speed.... it's all down to the suspension.... those yank tanks wallow around corners..... :p need a solid euro bone shaker stiffy set up to get round those corners quickly!! :p

it's certainly the government that makes our fuel so expensive..... it's all tax.... oil pretty much has the same selling price around the world, then our anti-car country slaps huge tax overheads on it..... *sighs* not the country to have anything that necks the juice like an alcoholic on a Monday morning binge!!

That's some expensive beer you bought bud!! Although that bar in Grand Central Station is like that..... I paid $24 for 4 beers, not even pints a couple of years ago... top service though, as I was finishing one, the barman already had the next one lined up waiting for me!! None of this queue at the bar for 20 minutes thing that bars of London are so fond of doing to their customers!!

The most I've paid in London was £13 for 2 drinks, one pint of beer and a whiskey and coke... I almost fainted when the barmaid told me.... in a state of shock I paid for it too!! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

What a dil....:eek: :p

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, having just watched an epsiode of Da Ali G show (iGav, this is a version on HBO, for an American audience, not a series shown in England as far as I'm aware), it points out, whether deliberately or not, why some people do dislike the USA. One of the Ali G's characters in the show, is a gay Austrian who is all about fashion and gay culture etc. He takes a trip to Alabama (of all places) and interviews various people, and I have to say, it's quite sad. Blissfully ignorant I think is a good way of describing some of the people appearing. There are a lot of very narrow minded people in America, especially outside of the bigger cities and they are repulsed that this (supposedly, it's only a character) man is gay. The sad thing for me, is that there are a lot of people in England who are just as narrow minded, if not more so, but, I guess it's easier to rag on the states as it perhaps fits the stereotype more? I don't know. I know of a few people here that have moved from England because they were persecuted, married outside of their race perhaps, or didn't conform to the norm. As I said earlier, don't take it personally, it's just a shame people are not more willing to accept someone for who they are, not for what they believe them to (probably wrongly) be.

7. Perci Mac thread starter macrumors member

Well, back from England now, great trip overall. I started in York, saw the minster and went on the ghost walk. Then I went to Scarbourgh, saw the wall, and castle. Then I spent about 5 days in London. I saw the London Dungeon (cheesy amusement), saw the imperial war museum, British museam. I went shopping in portabello market, the convent gardens, and more. I stayed in a hotel closest to Russel square from the tube, the Tavistock hotel.
    I ran in Hyde Park, thought about going to star trek the adventure, but its 17 pounds!

Overall, it was a good escape from daily life, and I would like to possibly go back someday.