Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Watch-250x285.jpg
Quanta Computer is reportedly working with Apple on development of the next-generation Apple Watch, according to Chinese-language website United Daily News [Google Translate].

The report is based on recent comments made by Quanta Computer chairman Barry Lam, who allegedly said development of Apple's next wearable device is underway. Quanta assembles the current Apple Watch.

UDN claims the new Apple Watch will launch late in the second quarter of 2016, with volume shipments beginning in the third quarter.

If the rumored timeline is correct, the next-generation Apple Watch could launch by June 2016, with increased production towards mid- to late-2016. The current Apple Watch was announced in September 2014 and released last April.

A few months ago, Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri claimed the second-generation Apple Watch will launch in mid- to late-2016 and be thinner than current models. Few details are known about the upcoming device beyond a June report that said it will feature a FaceTime video camera and expanded Wi-Fi capabilities.

While a next-generation Apple Watch launching next year is realistic, UDN's report is questionable and should be treated with a proverbial grain of salt.

Article Link: Quanta Reportedly Developing Next-Gen Apple Watch for 2016 Launch

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
But will it be thinner???
Will it have longer battery???
Do you need your iPhone in pocket still???

Last edited:
Reactions: Banyan Bruce

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
How many people are going to buy a new watch every year?

As almost everyone who wants an Apple Watch has bought one by now, I question the demand for a new one next year.

My current watch has lasted me for about 30 years and is still going strong. I trust that current Apple Watches will last their owners as long.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Since the Apple Watch was announced and "in the wild" in September 2014, if the Apple Watch 2 is release around September 2016, isn't that technically a 2-year cycle?

Reactions: Lazy and Chad-VI

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I really hope Apple adds utility and rethinks the price. I have only seen one in the wild, and current the Apple watch section in Apple stores is always dead. I think with some added functionality, I might be inclined to pick one up.. maybe..

I see a trend happening in Macrumors, people are becoming more critical of Tim Cook and skeptical of the path Apple is taking. If 2nd generation isn't a jaw dropper, then someone should get the boot!

Last edited:

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hopefully they will iterate on a 12-18 month cycle for a few iterations. I'm planning to keep my Watch v1 until the Watch equivalent of the iPhone 4 or 5 comes along. At that point I will be happier to get a stainless steel version instead of sports.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
But will it be thinner???
Will it have longer battery???
Do you need your iPhone in pocket still???
All I want is not to have to have your iPhone near by which I hope with the next iteration AT&T will have the "NumberSync" feature ready to go. That would be AWESOME !!!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I really hope Apple adds utility and rethinks the price. I have only seen one in the wild, and current the Apple watch section in Apple stores is always dead.

I see a trend happening in Macrumors, people are becoming more critical of Tim Cook and skeptical of the path Apple is taking. If 2nd generation isn't a jaw dropper, then someone should get the boot!

Hmmm....

revenue-q1-2015-6c.jpg

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
please more ram or whatever so that overpriced notification center may actually become useful. by the time the apps decide to open, whatever i was trying to do is already over
Is this still an issue after Watch OS2? I returned my Apple Watch because it felt like using a 4 year old iPhone.
I don't care about thinner, I care about faster. Apple needs Apps that load up instantly like on the iPhone. Otherwise not a chance in hell I'd upgrade.
I care about thinner. I would constantly bump the watch into chair backs, door frames, my face - what have you. It rises too high off the wrist.
Why are people trying to get rid of the iPhone? I'm always going to have my phone except for possibly going to the gym or running. As long as it can handle fitness and music untethered, I'm set.
I think that's exactly why everyone wants it to work autonomously. Exercise with as little gear as possible is the goal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.