Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new report out of China today points to an earlier than expected trial production of the unannounced "Apple Watch 2," expected to begin as soon as the end of January. According to Taiwanese website Commercial Times (via G for Games), the second generation of the Apple Watch will be manufactured by Quanta, which was also responsible for last year's production of the original smartwatch.

478248-apple-watch-bands.jpg

Despite today's report of Quanta's eagerness to begin production on the Apple Watch 2, a rumor back in November suggested the company had a "weaker than expected" profit return on the original Apple Watch. As such, Apple may be searching for new suppliers of the device (in addition to keeping on Quanta to take the brunt majority of the line), including Foxconn, Wistron, and Inventec.

Although it has yet to be confirmed by Apple, rumors regarding the new Apple Watch include a thinner case, FaceTime camera, and an upgraded Wi-Fi chip for more independence from the iPhone. This week it was discovered that Apple has posted four job listings centered around health technologies, suggesting possible improvements on the first generation Apple Watch's health and fitness features.

Article Link: Quanta May Begin Trial Production of Apple Watch 2 This Month

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm ready to see what the changes are going to be. Now that we can pair multiple watches I'm sure to keep my current watch and just add to the collection. (If the changes are enough)

I don't even need thinner. I need GPS and a faster processor.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not sure what I want in an Apple Watch 2 at this stage, but I hope it's a huge leap forward.

Reactions: Vanilla35

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I want one if the battery lasts 48 hours of regular use.
Having used mine since launch I'm not sure this would be a big deal for me unless I were not able to get though a full day for some reason. A 48 hour battery, charging every other day, would be harder to track than just putting on the charger each night like I do now. I can see the benefit in more time from the battery but I would use the internal space for other features.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Really thought that it would be closer to a 2 year upgrade cycle for the Apple Watch. Hmmm.

Maybe it will be the same as with iPhones - new body style every 2 years, s-style update in between?

Personally I decided to skip 1st gen and I'm very interested in Watch 2.
My wishlist: much faster, better waterproofing (swimming officially allowed) and longer operation (ideally - weekend without recharging). Reliable blood pressure would also be great.

Reactions: JaySoul and kyleh22

Bray-dog

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
Having used mine since launch I'm not sure this would be a big deal for me unless I were not able to get though a full day for some reason. A 48 hour battery, charging every other day, would be harder to track than just putting on the charger each night like I do now. I can see the benefit in more time from the battery but I would use the internal space for other features.

Agree on the battery life...I only use mine for notifications, anything else I pull out the phone. Rarely do I drop below 20% at the end of a day.

Reactions: tigertazz

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
People like me want a watch that is great for monitoring activity. The Apple watch is ok but without a GPS it will never be good for sporty types. I think the smart watch space is going to be heavily influenced by the solutions competitors bring to the table.

For example: I recently bought a Forerunner 235, about 60% the cost of an Apple Watch. It has an:

activity tracker, tick,
GPS, tick,
all notifications (email, text, calendar, phone, photo stream etc), tick,
heart rate monitor, tick,
Apps, tick.
7 day battery life! SEVEN yes Seven

I think Apple has done well with their watch despite it being one of the first devices that was marketed as a fashion accessory rather than a technology solution.

If they can find their way back to their home turf, technology, I am confident that they could develop a version of the watch that meets my selfish, sporty needs. In the meantime, thanks Garmin.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Really thought that it would be closer to a 2 year upgrade cycle for the Apple Watch. Hmmm.

Eventually, yes, but not in the first few years as features mount and they gain experience.
Also, they don't want to leave one chance for Android wear to succeed.
To do that, they have to press their advantage to the max.
Make Android wear watch seems always second, or even third best.

By year 4-5, they may go to 2 year cycles.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
My care factor is pretty close to absolute zero, hopefully this brings far more utility and features than the original one.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I love my SS and for a first gen product I think they did a good job. I said the whole way along that it would be an annual refresh. There is massive room for improvement. I would like to see increased independence from the iPhone, faster loading for apps, different tones for messages, emails etc, larger square and round faces and more customisable watch faces.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hopefully it will be more of the smart watch than yet another Fitbit device ;)
Sick of all this health related crap packed into every so called smart watch these days...
Don't give a f.... about my steps {can view that in health app without the aid of watch) or heart rate, but gps and direct calls will convert me into buying one (again) straight away :)

Reactions: Bazooka-joe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.