Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

More or less updates?

• More, but including smaller stories

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Less, but more significant stories

Votes: 46 68.7%

• Total voters

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is something I've been curious about, so I figured I'd ask. MacRumors tends to update somewhat selectively. We tend to range from 1-4 updates/day... and try to focus on the big things.

Other sites/blogs tend to update fast/furious... on the other end of the extreme is 20+ updates a day... but the quality of them is a bit questionable, and it's easy to miss some updates unless you check very frequently.

The problem with the many updates a day, is the big stuff tends to get pushed down quicker off the page.

So, which do you prefer? I guess both in the context in MacRumors as well as other sites.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
As is seems to working peachy enough for me. I visit MR for the very reason that the stories are selectively chosen, so I don't waste my time reading dribble. That's what Digg is for... :p

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I much prefer as it is. too much, as spicyapple points out, is just too much like Digg and, as you say, Arn, heading towards the more innacurate rumour sites.

Keep it as it is, Arn. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'll agree with the previous posters...if it's on MR's homepage, I know it's important/significant. Plus, we have page 2 for all the lesser items. I vote for "keep it like it is."

EDIT: There is NO "just leave it" option in the poll! Boo! :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Less is more, I would rather get bigger in depth stories rather than a bunch of meaningless ones.

There is a good chance that the smaller stories will find there way here anyways.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I would say it depends on the story currently on the top of the front page.

Sometimes I'll say to myself "Wow, it's been 3 days since a new story. It's about time we get something else up there... anything else."

And other times I'll say, "Too bad, that really good, interesting story got bumped from the top after only two hours by a really boring story."

An example of a really good story would be a new product release, invite, or apple announcement (like the "Thoughts on Music" by Steve Jobs). ...I would try and keep those up there as long as possible.

Examples of less-important stories IMO would be those like "Wal-Mart Launches Movie Download Service." ...I would consider keeping stores like these (that don't partially involve Apple) on Page 2.

But overall, you do a good balancing act - you really don't need to change much. :)

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
don't worry about drastic changes... just curious.

arn

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
MR is great as it is! I read TUAW for all the other mac related news. But for some good rumor coverage I prefer MR.

Don't change anything!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Agree keep it the way it is.

You seem to have an itchin to be fixin somethin' so here's a suggestion:

- have a featured item, which stays at the top for a couple of days - newer but smaller items can go underneath.

I was going to say "try not to go 3 days without a new story" but on reflection, I quite like that you occasionally go for days without a new item - teaches me not to be so obsessive about mac stuff and be more balanced :)

I also like the calm front page - if having a featured story, please stick to the calm layout - please don't make it messy just to foreground the featured item.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I think you should put more stuff on Page 2, currently it's rarely used, for example the Walmart story could go on page 2.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
I'd have to say I like it the way it is now, though I also think Eraserhead's idea about incorporating Page 2 more and using it for smaller stories and/or things only tangentially related to Apple could work, as well.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I notice nothing seems to happen on the weekends. Something might be interesting then, but on the weekdays perfect. At slow news times I would like to see something updating the front page.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Maybe more weekend updates? I don't know if its because all the powers that be like weekends off, but surely the Rumor mills can't just stop at the weekend and I find it very rare there is anything new to read over the weekend.

Other than that, id say its all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.