Quantum Teleportation across the Danube Demonstrated

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jsw, Aug 24, 2004.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Source here.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Particle entanglement theory ROCKS! Still a long ways from even sending useful amounts of information though. The first application would be on rover missions I guess. Right now it's what 15 minutes to Mars and 15 back to communicate with our rovers by light waves. 30 minute delay sucks for exploring. If we could have communication in realtime based on particle entanglement, wow! Though I guess by time this tech develops that far, we'll have our men ON Mars. I don't really think that this really relates to teleportation as seen in sci-fi movies. Especially because of this:
    I don't like that 97% deal. If you are going to be teleporting me, I don't want 97% accuracy, I'd need a perfect 100%. :D ;)

Still though, I wonder if this could ever be used in global communications. Latency is a thing of the past.

3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Sounds amazing! It would be cool if this may eventually become something usable for humans! Beam me up, Scotty! :p

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I would love a food delivery service to use this technology.

Your pizza will be at your house 30 seconds or less or its free. :p

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Um, as far as I can tell from reading elsewhere, the quantum repeater is not instantaneous, you still are limited to the speed of light. What it does is provide for totally secret communications.

So no transporting to Mars yet :D

D

6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yup.

But some work on entanglement theory (not teleportation, although entanglement plays a key role there as well) suggests possibilities of instantaneous transfer of information - of course, though, one would have had to separate the entangled elements at less than the speed of light. Still, once separated, some suggest that there might be ways to transmit information instantaneously. Sort of like having a pair of walkie-talkies, having to walk apart with them, but then being able to converse - only, in the case of entangled items, it truly would - if some approaches prove themselves - be instantaneous.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha - which makes the whole SETI program a waste of time. If this is real, no good alien would do with out his quantum repeater to phone home. And we wouldn't be hearing anything from the stars.....

D

8. sonyrules macrumors regular

Yeah, but just the thought of it is very cool, be many years before its perfected, but its gettin there. I am all for the technology

9. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unless they're all trying to send us directions on how to join in so they can truly IM us! ;)

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

quantum repeaters are a closed system - who knows if there is an open version of it we just haven't figured out. Again, that would mean we're looking for the wrong thing :D

I totally agree that this is a great technology with huge potential.

When they get the distance beyond 12 km, that's when it gets good :D

D

11. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Maybe they stored a cache of them here and are just waiting for us to get to them. ;)

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The system was correct 97% of the time.

Sounds like that's a good start for being able to turn a man into a monkey during transport. :p

13. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Or a man into a woman... ;)

14. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY...

I would think that if that fine science documentary "DOOM III" has taught us anything its the danger of fooling around with quantum teleportation. Heck, why don't we just send the Cacodemons an invitation to come and turn us all into mindless zombies? No RSVP required! :eek:

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There is nothing wrong with testing a theory. I'm sure that they increase the accuracy. Sounds like it has potential.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And the "I Don't Get It" Award goes to wdlove :D ;)

He's talking about a game - quite far from reality. Although, part of it is a good warning. You need near 100% accuracy for this to be a viable medium if its ever developed to be more than a communication device.

There are decades of testing ahead for this, and probably even more after that :D

D

17. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Don't forget, though, that quantum teleportation and Star Trek teleportation have nothing in common, save the word "teleportation". Quantum teleportation has to do with reproducing quantum states (transfering information of a sort), whereas Star Trek teleportation has to do with, um... something else, matter transfer, I suppose.

So, to make a long story short, quantum teleportation does not equal beam me up, Scotty.

18. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, actually, they're essentially the same thing. Quantum teleportation destroys atoms in one place and recreates them elsewhere. In effect, you'd destroy your body in place A and recreate it from a exactly similar mass of atoms at place B. In the "real" world, you'd have matter in a sort of random state left over at A, and you'd require matter to be positioned ahead of time at B, but it's a similar concept. If it ever is perfected - and there are huge obstacles, including a number of theoretical objections - quantum transportation would let you move an object instantly from A to B in the sense that we define objects in our world. I mean, there are practically zero atoms in your body which were there a decade ago, and yet you are still "you". So, except for not showing leftover atoms and not requiring them at the beam-to point, Star Trek was reasonably close to the real thing. For a TV show. From almost 40 years ago.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This could also bring about replicators - once you download a steak dinner, what's to keep you from making more than just one :D

I don't think we'll see this in our lifetime, and as for beaming people hither and yon, the whole idea of destroying them and recreating them somewhere else doesn't seem right. The same thing with the steak dinner - what's to keep you from making copies of yourself?

D

20. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

OK, I see where you're coming from, but there are a couple of concerns. (I wish I could remember more from my quantum mechanics course, but one thing I do recall was that my professor was quite adamant about the distinction between the two sorts of "teleportation".)

I think the concern might be an insurmountable problem of scale. Quantum teleportation exploits the quantum entanglement of particles, in the case of the experiment mentioned above, photons. I would expect this sort of result could also be reproduced with electrons, but I'm not sure about that (I can recall a poster who was studying physics a while back, he/she could probably clear things up for us). The move to actual atoms, though, would be a big leap, from what I understand. Photons can be entangled, people can't. Or, to be more accurate, physicists aren't even really sure what it would be like for someone (or any macroscopic object) to be in an entangled state, hence the famed Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. I'm pretty sure the "one particle at a time" reproduction method wouldn't work either, but I'm less well-equipped to give you any explanation here.

Maybe I'll ask my former professor about this sometime in the next while... If I manage to talk with him and get a better explanation I'll post it.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yourself & steaks, shows you how stale your vision of the future is. :rolleyes:

There's one member here that wouldn't think twice about Xeroxing Kiera for his own twisted pleasures, and those of us who think twins, triplets, etc. might be more interesting.

But alas we're years away from a viable human Xerox, and with our luck the process would be owned by Microsoft anyways -- which would give Gateways a bad name.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, aside from the moral debate, it will be interesting to see if its viable. We don't know if there is a soul attached to the body and if it would survive the transmission. And what would happen to duplicates? I think the latter was used in a zombie movie once....:D

D

23. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

That's the thing about quantum theory, start asking the difficult questions and it rapidly becomes indistinguishable from Zen Buddism, Evangelical Christianity or the Matrix Movies 1->3 :rolleyes:

24. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

interesting. i never thought about it that way before. after thinking about that, the thought of teleportation doesn't seem so bad...

25. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

However, your toppings may vary - remember the 97 % correctness ? :D