Quantum trick for pressure-sensitive mobile devices

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stridemat, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I see this being very beneficial to a new iPhone interface.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8504373.stm

2. macrumors member

Skengman

i just logged on here to post the same thing, but with a different view. I dont really see how this can be that useful.

I would be very clunky on such a small screen to have an interface as the article discribes

I can see the potential for fast scrolling, but how would you inplement this without it being awkward?

3. thread starter Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I can see how it would be 'clunky' on an iPhone screen. The iPad on the other hand. This could add a 'new dimension' instead of scrolling through pages and pages of apps.

4. macrumors member

Skengman

You know, I had somehow completely forgotten about that!

I suppose it would work very well on the iPad, probably far better than the current method used on there (streched iPod technology).

5. thread starter Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes, I could see that on an iPad it would make that much more sense, instead of using something designed for a smaller screen. It says in the article that the company have been in discussion with yet 'unnamed' manufactures (Apple maybe) .

6. macrumors member

Skengman

Could be useful in trackpads for scrolling (amongst other things) on laptops and also things like volume buttons.

It's quite an interesting posibility really, but unfortunately, unless companies spend time working on it, it will probably end up being poorly implemented in a few Samsung phones and then disappear.

(Now I've said that, it will be in everything by the end of the year!)

7. thread starter Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Its the same with any tech, if companies do not want/need it then it just dies.e

I for one hope this get developed a little further and we get to see some working prototypes. It's like taking 'multi-touch' to the next level.