Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I am helping out a friend with a Quark issue (I use Indesign - so I am not of much help). He is running Quark 4.1 on OS 9.1 and very recently he has run into a problem of non-printing punctuation. The characters appear on the screen, but not when printed to a hard copy or when exported to a PDF. Any thoughts? Places to start!

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Your friend must be using a Postscript font. Postscript fonts have two components to them. The Screen font & Printer font. It's possible that your friend is missing the printer part of that peticular font. I would check this first.

~e

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Also make sure he did not apply formatting on the type from the formatting palette (the one on the bottom where you can click bold, italic, small cap, etc.).

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
This problem can also happen when printing to a PostScript device with a TrueType font.

I had this happen to a run of 6,000 newspapers once when someone substituted their copy of Times New Roman for our PS version... had to pulp the whole batch. Not a happy day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.