Quark 6.5 & Adobe CS (or CS2)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by confusedd, Oct 25, 2006.

1. confusedd macrumors newbie

Anybody have a mac pro or G5 and are using the applications Quark 6.5 & Adobe CS??

I would like to upgrade to the the Mac Pro but not sure if these older applications are smooth running on the Mac Pro or G5

Please tell me your experiences. Thanks in Advance

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes. These are my current main workhorse apps running on a dual 2.5 G5 with 2.5gb RAM. We're moving to Quark 7 next year and CS3 (skipped CS2) on the release of Leopard.

All of these apps can still get bogged down on complex files; Quark with pen-drawn shapes, Illustrator on multi-layered files stuffed full of transparency and object transformations. As far I know, neither of these apps are built to exploit multi-processor machines.

It's still an awkward time to consider upgrading with Creative Suite 3 still 6 months away or so. What machine are you using at the moment?

3. airmac macrumors regular

Quark 6.5 & Adobe CS2 works well on G5 dualcore 2.0. I am getting few crashes over a month but if you clean font caches regularly you will be fine.

edit: I have 3.5gb RAM

4. confusedd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your response........
    I have a dinosaur.....the G4 400mhz
    What G5 would you suggest to buy running all Adobe CS and Quark 6.5?

5. confusedd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks....
    What font management program do you use?

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Personally, I would do either one of these two things:

1) Upgrade your current Mac's processor to a 1.4ghz with a Sonnet card or similar to tide you for a year or so at a low cost. A friend of mine did this with excellent results, with an almost-identical machine to yours, until he plans to buy a Mac Pro next year or...

2) Get the fastest Mac Pro you can afford with at least 1.5gb RAM. Hand on heart, I can't recommend anyone buys a G5 for print design anymore unless you plan to run Quark 6.5 or Adobe CS for the next 3 years or so.

7. airmac macrumors regular

OnyX...and it‘s free.

edit: I use OnyX for Font caches and Suitcase as font manager

8. confusedd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks