Quark 7 Released Today

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Black&Tan, May 23, 2006.

  1. macrumors 6502a

    Black&Tan

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    #1
    Okay, I don't want to rehash the InDesign QuarkXpress argument here. I need to use Quark in my daily job, and that will not change for the forseeable future.

    What I'm curious about is how this new version stacks up against 4.1? Most of us have upgraded to 6, at least if we're using OSX, but still remember the reliability of 4.1. OR at least, we all knew what workarounds were required to make it work. Quark is touting the transparency features and pdf creation, but honestly, I prefer creating transparencies in Photoshop. Pdf's have worked using a combination of Distiller and the Print menu, or the export pdf menu.

    What is compelling about this release, for the end user? Have they really improved the product, or just introduced a new round of bugs? Is this upgrade worth $249?
     
  2. Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #2
    Absolutely. It's a bargain... I've been testing both beta versions for the past few months. This is the best version of Quark since v4 and is also a Universal Binary.

    Just placed an order for 4 upgrade licences about 5 mins ago from Quark.com (to get discounts) but won't install them until the 7.1 updater is released.

    Edit: It's £249 + £15 shipping here in the UK. Quite a markup. :(
     
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Black&Tan

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    #3
    Wow...you're right, that is quite a markup.

    It's good to hear that 7 is a worthwhile upgrade. According to MacWorld, though, its not a Universal Binary yet. That will be a free upgrade this summer. Are you waiting for 7.1 because of the inevitable bugs to be discovered, the stigma thats attached to any x.0 release, or for bugs you're currently experiencing?
     
  4. Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #4
    All of the above. :D

    Also just realised that it needs Tiger... we're still running Panther in the office. Need to think about this carefully 'cos when Leopard is released we'll have to justify two OS upgrades within a year. Hmmm... thinks.
     
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Black&Tan

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    #5
    Well, Leopard will probably come out towards the end of this year, and then 10.5.1 will be out next year, so you should be okay to do Tiger this year, if you're so inclined.

    Not sure when Quark 7.1 will be out, they have a habit of taking ages to release updates. Quark has the chance to move ahead of InDesign, it they don't shoot themselves in the foot, that is.

    Also, it will take some time before the Adobe apps and font applications are ready for Leopard. I'm planning on waiting till next Spring/Summer for Leopard, unless I talk myself into upgrading to a new Intel tower.

    The attraction to a few Windows games is awfully strong....
     
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Black&Tan

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    #6
    But what most intrigues me about 7 is the enhanced font handling. I'm currently working on international translations for my company's product lines. There are 24 translations for each including Greek, Icelandic, Romanian, Turkish, Norwegian, etc. Many of the fonts I need to use only work in Quark 5 under classic. Frustrating to say the least! If 7 will allow me to work natively in OSX, I'll be a happy camper. At least once I convince my IT department, the President, and the Operations department that I really need the upgrade. I still haven't been able to upgrade to CS2 or Office X!!!!
     
  7. macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #7
    Hey they updated their logo again!
    Then again I guess after the last logo refresh they were left with little choice
     
  8. Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #8
    Old news, buddy.
     
  9. macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #9
    oops really? well I haven't visited their site in a while, my bad :eek:
     
  10. macrumors regular

    lurcher

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    Location:
    England
    #10
    I heard the upgrade price of £249 is for ANY previous versions. If this is the case then it's a decent price to upgrade from 4.1 :)
     
  11. Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #11
    Really? Then that's excellent news for those stubborn die-hards still using v3 or 4 in Classic or OS9 but for those of us who faithfully shelled out for v6, that's a bit of a swizz. :(
     
  12. macrumors 68020

    idkew

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2001
    Location:
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    #12
    What versions are applicable to the upgrade price?
     

Share This Page