Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's all about workflow

It's about time that QuarkXPress has gone native for Mac OS X. It will probably still be months, as their development can languish forever on almost nothing.

I have a few questions, and they concern Adobe Photoshop as well.

When will XTensions be available for Mac OS X?

When will professional scanner and printer drivers be available?

If you have to switch back and forth between Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X, what's the use? Photoshop is available now, but plug-ins are slow in arriving, partly due to a new plug-in format.

Print houses depend on workflow enhancements that are probably not available yet and keep things deeply rooted in Mac OS 9.

Until these are available, the switch will be minimal. It's easy to switch to InDesign but, there aren't many enhancements for it. Some are built-in, but are they enough?

galopagos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
or...

...or did I just say that to get you guys to forget it before New York? Huh, what to believe anymore...

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Well, I'm a die-hard Quark man, but I have to use InDesign on a job at the moment...

InDesign is supposed to be so much more flexible than Quark, but I can't even figure out how to apply a colour to a greyscale tif file!!!!!!

How do I do it? ANYONE?

Chuck.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
heres a requirement listed for quark 6

TCP/IP network for site license (using Quark License Administrator)

is this quirk license administrator new?

and here is a picture they posted a while ago.

quirk

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Moxiemike
QuarkXPress, somehow managing to stay ugly, even in Beautiful Aqua.

What a bunch of crap! I am speechless and mortified at how idiotic the Quark Company is.

VIVA InDESIGN!

It ROCKS so HARD. And remember, I run my business on ID.... not some 16 year old designing brochures for the neighborhood cat groomer.

How did Quark manage to take the same 12+ year old visual design into a new environment? Are those black and white icons in the toolbar nostalgic? Are they put there in reverence of the first Macintosh? Maybe, it's just that Quark doesn't have any visual designers to go with the lack of good programmers.

It reminds me of what Symantec did with the Macintosh programming market.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Chuck
Well, I'm a die-hard Quark man, but I have to use InDesign on a job at the moment...

InDesign is supposed to be so much more flexible than Quark, but I can't even figure out how to apply a colour to a greyscale tif file!!!!!!

How do I do it? ANYONE?

Chuck.

You select the Tif with the direct selection tool (white arrow). Then you click on a spot color in your swatches palette. hmmm. That was DIFFICULT.

Attachments

• picture 2.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 90

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by alset
your pinstripes are pretty thick. What version of OS X are you running?
Dan

My pinstripes are the same as in other apps and machines (I actually went and tested it), all running 10.2.4. Maybe you are looking at it zoomed in on a 1024x768 monitor.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by zarathustra
You select the Tif with the direct selection tool (white arrow). Then you click on a spot color in your swatches palette. hmmm. That was DIFFICULT.

:D

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by zarathustra

Well I must be missing something. That was one of the first things I tried before even sending the post. Trying it again it still doesn't work, but don't worry about helping me out mate - I wouldn't want you to lower yourself again.

c

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i think he just responded that way because your post was sort of like, indesign is suppose to be so intuitive but i cant even color a grey scale tiff.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i just tried it and it worked for me.

make sure you have the WHITE arrow (direct selection tool) in the tool pallet selected, its the tool to the right of the BLACK arrow (selection tool).

make sure its a tiff

make sure its grey scale

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Got it now. In Quark, if a picture box is selected, you can then change between tools and that tool will then apply to the image in the selected box. It seems in InDesign if you have selected the main box with the closed selection tool and then you select the open selection tool, you have to then click on the image again in order for that tool to apply to the image.

That's where my problem was. Thanks for helping me out.

While we're on the topic of things I can't figure out in InDesign, is it possible to put something (like a text box) in a master page, and then edit the text box in one of the document pages? It looks to me as if everything in the master pages is locked once you go and try to alter it in the document pages... I'm trying to set up the master page with a space for page headings etc, but then when I go to the document I can't actually alter the content of the text box.

Chuck.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Don't worry about that last question... I've been inside the User's Guide and found out about the Command + Shift thing...

Chuck.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
QuarkXPress with no way out

I wish I could use indesign where I work... I have tried the demo and I like it... not to mention that it opened all of our previous templates/pages perfectly.
It is sad, but I fear the company I work for will never be big on updating/upgrading. We have g3 power macs with 96 megs of ram (some people still have older macs), and are all running a 68k version of QuarkXPress 4.01.
To make things worse... 4 months ago we were bought out by a larger publication... (PC Freaks) I now fear that they will dump quark, shun indesign, and switch to something stupid like - MS Word!
I feal that Quark dragging their feet is a reason why the prior owners of my workplace had never upgraded to OS X... and now, now I am doomed. Screw Quark!

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Anyone know why my guides keep disappearing on me in ID? I'm doing the master pages and every time I drag a guide onto the page the previous one I did disappears. It seems as though it's still there because things snap to it, but I can't see it anymore. I've definitely got "Show Guides" selected and I can't work out why they keep disappearing. Had a look in the manual and can't find out there either...

???

Many thanks if you can help.

Chuck.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Chuck
Anyone know why my guides keep disappearing on me in ID? I'm doing the master pages and every time I drag a guide onto the page the previous one I did disappears. It seems as though it's still there because things snap to it, but I can't see it anymore. I've definitely got "Show Guides" selected and I can't work out why they keep disappearing. Had a look in the manual and can't find out there either...

???

Many thanks if you can help.

Chuck.

I am going to revive this old thread...

There could be several things:

1. you are dragging the guides onto a layer that's hidden. Unhide the layer.

2. InDesign has a feature to hide the guides after you zoom out a certain percentage. Try adjusting that. (It's under Layout>Ruler Guides)

3. You are in preview mode. Push "W" with nothing selected. This will switch to layout mode. This feature hides bounding boxes, bleeds, guides, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.