Quark in Classic horrors

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

I'm having big problems running Quark 5 i n Classic. The fonts are showing up jaggy, the wrong sizes and, well, just wrong.

I've tried the same files in a demo version of Quark 6 on the same machine, and they look fine.

It's important to me to fix this, as a weekly freelance job that's about half of my income depends on it. And my employers for that job (who gave me the Quark 5) are no good - they just stare and flap their hands when I show them a Mac.

I'm baffled by the fact that the pages look fine in Quark 6 (OS X native) but look jaggy and pixillated in Quark 5.

If anyone knows the solution to this I'd be really grateful.

2. jwilding macrumors newbie

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Not me, but nice to meet you anyway, and thanks for the help. I'll try ATM Deluxe; never liked it much, too complicated for me, but I'll try it again.

Do I just have to install it, or should I do anything else with it?

4. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

The ATM page brought up a form requiring registration; I filled out the required parts, and didn't fill out the "optional parts", and got a notice that sounded like a bossy schoolgirl, telling me fingerwaggingly to "Please fill out the form properly".

Good thing you can't hear bad language through the Web.

Really, some companies have *no* idea of how to deal with customers, or people who are (or were) likely to become customers.

5. jwilding macrumors newbie

Hi Mala,

Unless you need the font management capabilities, I'd stick to ATM Light, it's unintrusive and free. All it does is map postscript fonts onto the screen so they appear correctly. The Deluxe version also does this but is a font management tool as well. If you already use Suitcase in Classic, do not insatll ATM Deluxe, since they will have a party together and fall out.

Best,

J

6. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Jonathan - Adobe only seems to have an OS X version of ATM Lite on its website. Don't I need the Classic version?

7. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Ignore last post. I've got it. Now my only problem is in making PDFs; I've tried to make PDFs but Quark is looking for some ghost Ricoh printer. I don't know how to stop this.

I did succeed in getting it to make a PDF, but not in getting it to make one the right size; the PDF it made cut off the edges of the page and made it a different shape - longer and thinner than it should be.

8. jwilding macrumors newbie

Hi Mala,

There is no OSX version of ATM. Adobe decided not to implement one and gave the code to Apple who may or may not have incorporated it into OSX (depending on who you believe), but even if Apple implemented it in OSX, it does not work in OS9 (Classic). So download the 4.6.2 version of ATM Light at Adobe and install, then I grab the small 4.6.2a patch to bring it to latest build.

Believe me you can't get your fonts sorted without it. If you need convincing, have a look at item 4 in the list on this page.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f2e2.htm

Best,

Jonathan

ps. See you had it by the time I'd typed this. :)

9. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the thought, though. Now there's the PDF horror. How can I get Quark to see Distiller and my specific job options as one of its printers? Do you know, you print genius you?