Quark issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dafke, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

Hi there,
    My dad is having some issues with his computers when he uses Quark, i hope someone can have a look at it.

Here's the situation:
    He has two computers, first a G4 PowerMac (OS 9.2, 400 MHz, 768 MB RAM) on which he has Quark 5.0 installed, second a G4 Tibook (OSX 10.4, 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM) on which he has Quark 6.0 installed.
    When he has worked on a document on his Tibook he saves it as a Quark 5.0 file, but he is not able to open the file on the PowerMac.

Anybody knows an easy way to solve this (or a hard way :) )
    I thought the easiest way is to install Tiger on the Powermac so he can run Quark 6.0 on both computers, but it is only a 400 MHz G4 so is that a good idea? Maybe install OS 10.3 on both computers?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Curious that the Quark 5 files won't open; have had no problems with this feature before sending v5 files to people still running OS9.

Has he tried installing Quark 5 on his Powerbook and running it in Classic to see whether that would open the files? How exactly is he transferring them over? What about if he adds the .qxd extension onto the files? Does Quark 5 pick them up then?

If I was in that situation, I would definitely run Quark 6 on both machines upgrading both to Tiger... after all, the Quark 6 licence now permits a max of 2 installations and activations on 2 separate machines.

My friend's 433G4 runs Panther OK and I would expect Tiger to even run a little better. But upgrading the RAM to 1-1.5gb would be wise.

3. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

Thanx, i will ask him to try the things you mentioned, only problem is that he isn't very handy with computers so i will have to guide him through every step on the phone. Otherwise i will visit him next weekend and do it myself. He transfers the files through an ethernet/router network by the way.
    I have the feeling though that it would be easiest to install Tiger on both computers, he isn't a real poweruser/multitasker, so i think the PowerMac will be able to handle it.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

5. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

well, helpdesk by phone was unsuccesfull, i will try all the things you said next weekend, thanks for you help BV!