Quark PDF/PS problems & corrupt fonts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marklemac, Aug 18, 2006.

1. marklemac macrumors member

Oct 21, 2003
    Southampton, UK.
    Any advice welcome on this. I have searched the web but can't get an answer.

Here's the setup.

We have 3 iMac G5's & 3 iMac Intels.

All machines runs the same setup, 10.4.7, Quark 6.5, Suitcase Fusion, Adobe CS 2.

On machine is causing us problems (this one runs CS1, not CS2)

In Quark, when you goto print and select save pdf as postscript, it creates the ps file on the desktop, but when you distil it, the page is empty. if you double click the ps, preview errors saying it is corrupt.

We can use Quarks export to pdf option (creating the ps file) and this runs through ditiller ok.

The iMac G5 in question has been reformatted and reloaded and still does this. Like I said, only thing different to the other machines is CS1, not CS2.

The other problem is quark saying that times/helvetica are corrupt when trying to print a job. We have deleted all the system/library fonts, quit suitcase, reduced it all to a minimum and it still errors. I have replaced the offending fonts with another set from another Mac, and its still the same.

I'm really not sure which way to go on this. Never seen this before on any Mac.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    First of all, make sure that Quark 6 is updated to the 6.5.1 release which came out a couple of weeks or so ago.

My first hunch on the PDF side is that it's a problem with the Adobe PDF PPD which may have not been installed correctly or setup within Quark's Print box. So first thing to check is Quark's PPD manager under the Utilities menu to see whether Adobe PDF is installed or activated.

The location of the PPD should be:

On the font side, this may be a problem with permissions and/or where these fonts are placed. Where are you currently storing Times and Helvetica?