Quark wont recognise Epson 880

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gnwanya, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Gnwanya macrumors newbie

Hi all

Can Anyone help me here. I have installed and reinstalled Quark 6.0, and my Epson Stylus 880 on to my mac (OSX 10.3.4) in order to print from Quark.

In print, my "page setup" is set to my Epson, my "printer" setting is also set up to my epson, but everytime i go into the "Setup" option and try to click on printer description, it is just greyed out and so are all the other options throughout "output", "Options", "Bleed".

I know its not my Epson printer, as i work fine with all other applications, just quark. I upgraded to 6.1, but the problem persisted.

Im sure its probably a corrupt file on my system some where, but i dont know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gus

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Is the Epson 880 a PostScript device? If so, you may need to replace the PPD. If not, I don't know that it will work properly in XPress 6.

3. Gnwanya thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

The Epson Stylus 880 is not a postscript printer...I didnt have this printer problem when i first initially installed Quark.....it developed later.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Have you tried deleting your Quark preferences? Reinstalling doesn't always refresh the preferences, and if those got messed up, it might help to delete them and try it again (not reinstalling, printing).

5. Gnwanya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, However ive tried delete quark preferences but to no success. I havent had much support from Quark themselves. For some reason it only seems to recognise the generic PPD printers its automatically setup with.

Anymore advice....Or should i start thinking about Adobe Design

Thanks all Much appreciated

6. Starwind macrumors newbie

Hi Gnwanya. While I can't help with your Quark problem directly, Acrobat Distiller will convert a Quark-saved eps file to a pdf. Not an elegant work-around, I'm afraid, but in this way you might be able to get your files to print through Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

As to your other comment, about Adobe InDesign... I switched to InDesign when I moved to OSX and am extremely pleased with it. While not all print houses will work with InDesign files, major ones do. The program is easy and friendly to work with, does a superb job of packaging files to send off to printers, and has helped me create some excellent pieces for clients. I've not used the latest version of Quark, but InDesign 2.0 has it hands-down over Quark 4.0.

Good luck with your printing issues.

Star

7. Gnwanya thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Starwind

Thank you for your response.

I am new to indesign, and have yet to grasp its full potential. Its still relative new to me, as im quite used to quarks knooks and crannys.

As in relation to quark. I've decided to invest (at a later date) in a postscript printer. Hopefully by that time comes, i'll be fully knowledgeable of Indesign.

Thanks again

G