Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by Freg3000
$899 is a lot of money. Wow. What is the upgrade price-is it anymore bearable?

The upgrade to QuarkXPress 6 ranges from $199 to $499 (U.S. dollars) depending the version you have.

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
awww yeah!

Our IT guy told us that once QX 6.o came out they would start migrating all the macs in my agency to OS X! And that once the 970 towers came out we'd be getting those too! Bout fricking time! Gonna be a fun summer.

I wonder how many other medium to large agencies have been waiting to migrate. Apple could potentially sell a ****load of 970s this summer.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Re: Re: Ouch - look at memory recommendation

Originally posted by drastik
Actually, the pismo can take a gig of RAM, the ram that they shipped with is removable, not soddered on, go to xlr8yourmac.com and do a search, they have instructions in there. The machine will even register it as a gig, just throw in two 512 chips.

Last I checked, they drew too much power. If you swap batteries, the machine powers down instead of giving you time for the swap. Maybe that's better now though.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Originally posted by macphisto
Check out Apple's home page. But my question is why? If you have ever used InDesign 2.0, why on earth would you go back to quark? And if you are using quark, why are you not using InDesign? InDesign is a better program by far.

What does everyone else think?

Doesn't it make a difference if your vendors accept InDesign files?

Re: Re: Hmm, Apple announced before Quark

Originally posted by Moxiemike
has anyone seen screenshots? the measurements palette is FRIGGIN HUGE

Uck. And teh rest of the palettes seem to have put on some weight too. Looks like Ol' Quark is sagging, showing some age, and eating too many donuts. ;)

poor port IMHO

Can't blame that one on Quark. They just followed Apple's Aqua guidelines. Aqua is a chunky butterbean that eats up screen, designed for the 2400x1800 resolutions of tomorrow!

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Re: Re: great news

Originally posted by evoluzione
er, no i don't think so (damn, that reminded me of Mega-Lo-Mania!)

there's so many scanners and printers out there (among other things) that refuse to work in OS X (unfortunately)

Not only scanners and printers but some DV cameras that worked with iMovie in OS 9.x still don't work in OS X. I've got a Samsung VP-D55, which worked perfectly in OS 9, and it doesn't work at all in OS X. I've entered this in the iMovie and OS X feedback many times but they have not taken any notice.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by RHutch
Doesn't it make a difference if your vendors accept InDesign files?

if you printer is worth his salt, they'll get ID to keep your business. Several of mine did. :)

they also got pcs and punish tehir production guys...by making them use publisher. hehe

they're money hungry. they'll do what it takes. and if their adobe certified they get it for free. :)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Well, for as long as it has taken to get this out, I wonder how well it works. Quarks UI was never all the great to start with IMHO. One less reason for OS9, I was thinking that the pro audio people were the only ones left too. Them and the education market without the money to do all the software upgrading that os x would require.

Check out Apple's home page. But my question is why? If you have ever used InDesign 2.0, why on earth would you go back to quark? And if you are using quark, why are you not using InDesign? InDesign is a better program by far.

InDesign's coming along nicely, but still quirky and slow, with some poorly implemented features (Gradients!). ID3 will be great I'm sure, because Adobe addresses issues and makes great software. Maybe now that Quark's out of the bag, we'll see a preview to ID3.

My place of employment has too many legacy Quark files that we need access to to consider the move now and ID2's handling of Quark files has left me unimpressed.

I have used ID2 for freelance work and some one off trade-show displays and have been happy with all the things that it can do that Quark can't touch (like utilizing Photoshop file transparency). If they implement layer effects the same way that Pshop does and work their gradients like Illustrator, it will be sweet indeed....

Laurent

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Montréal, Québec

I found Quark to be sharper than InDesign, so I am interested in QuarkXpress 6...

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
Re: Quark Xpress sur la gueule!

Originally posted by Laurent
It's been 2 years... I can't say that I am a proud user of Adobe InDesign since the applications isn't as sharp as Quark. I can't wait to try this new version! (Which might offer new features...?)

I am a Graphic Design student, so I may be way off-but I think InDesign is FAR more refined than Quark 5, and has all of the commonalities of a modern design application. And its resembalance to Illustrator & Photoshop have helped me become far more comfortable with it. I know I have to know Quark, but I choose to use InDesign.

be sure to buy a 20" Cinema for all those palettes. Sheesh. So many HUGE palettes. ouch.

And Adobe's products aren't the most real-estate hogging one's on the market? I find them practically unworkable when I don't have a second monitor!

Quarks original interface, especially the measurements palette, was designed not to hog screen space. Adobe could learn something from Quark here...:rolleyes:

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
And Adobe's products aren't the most real-estate hogging one's on the market? I find them practically unworkable when I don't have a second monitor!

Quarks original interface, especially the measurements palette, was designed not to hog screen space. Adobe could learn something from Quark here...:rolleyes:

but it looks like quark is ripping off adobe in palette size. I find ID2 and AI10 (photoshop is in a league all its own) workable on my 17" LCD.

I had a beta of Xpress 6 and it was crowded. very crowded

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That's why...

You learn to use your F-keys and then you only have open the pallets that you need. I haven't used ID and doesn't look like I'll ever have to.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: That's why...

Originally posted by chubakka
You learn to use your F-keys and then you only have open the pallets that you need. I haven't used ID and doesn't look like I'll ever have to.

Heh. I barely and rarely used a mouse with Quark.

But what about the denizens of lazy art directors who won't learn keyboard shortcuts? I have a feeling their going to be let down by the new version of QXP and probably bummed out by their migration to OSX.

Plus, I didn't need to learn fkey shortcuts for ID. I already knew them from my extensive knowledge of AI. :)

but it looks like quark is ripping off adobe in palette size. I find ID2 and AI10 (photoshop is in a league all its own) workable on my 17" LCD.

I had a beta of Xpress 6 and it was crowded. very crowded

That screenshot is deceiving. You can squash Quark's palettes to strips that are half as wide as they show. That's about half as wide as Adobe's palettes at their narrowest...

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
That screenshot is deceiving. You can squash Quark's palettes to strips that are half as wide as they show. That's about half as wide as Adobe's palettes at their narrowest...

Hmm. Didn't see that option in the beta. Is it marked on their website? Show me a link, baby

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Re: Re: Re: great news

Originally posted by job
Ah, touche.

are most pro audio apps still OS9 only?

No - Logic Audi, ProTools and Cubase are all OSX. It's just all of the hardware that people have invested in - it's the same as the problem with Heidleberg scanners - the manufacturers refuse to write OSX drivers.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: Re: Re: great news

Originally posted by JBracy
No - Logic Audi, ProTools and Cubase are all OSX. It's just all of the hardware that people have invested in - it's the same as the problem with Heidleberg scanners - the manufacturers refuse to write OSX drivers.

And Reason. And Traktor. And let's not forget Nuedo (right??) And loads of midi drivers.

I haven't used 9 in over a year. Design. Print. Photo. Music. Web. Multimedia. All on X :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.