QuarkXPress in Classic mode

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cb911, Aug 2, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i only use Quark in classic mode, everything else i need is in OS X. but every 2 hours or so, Quark just jams or something. i get a message saying that there was some 115 error and it couldn't access the network. i seem to get this consistenly, about every 2 hours. once it does this i can't work. it won't let you do anything except save, and then you have to quit and open it again.

anyone know how to fix this, or what the problem might be?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Could it be that you have QuarkLink enabled? Check your Xtensions. QuarkLink is that annoying feature that checks the Quark servers for updates and stuff. Chances are it doesn't play nice with Classic... although I don't know, since I've never enabled it. :p That's all I can think of, since it's attempting to access some network.

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i checked in the XTensions manager and i couldn't find anything even closely named to QuarkLink. i've got version 4 of Quark. any other ideas?

it isn't really that bad for my work, it still lets me save when it does it. but it just pisses me off.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Okay as it turns out QuarkLink isn't an Xtension, it's actually in the Utilities menu UNDER the Xtensions.

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I have experienced your problem in Quark, as well as in other classic apps. When this happens to me, in other classic apps the mounted volumes disappear except for the HD (they still appear in OSX apps and the finder). I usually work off of a file serve, and have to quit, copy the file to a folder on the HD, and reopen, or just restart classic. While I know this does not help you, I know your pain. It seems that classic gets confused HOW and WHERE volumes are mounted, and then the classic apps in return feel like you have removed the volumes and give you an error.

6. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

ok, i'm confused now. i looked in Utilities> XTensions Manager, and couldn't find it. 'it's under the Utilities menu UNDER the XTensions' what do you mean.

and zarathustra, we'll just have to wait until January next year. now Quark is the only thing keeping me using Classic mode. and it gets damn annoying.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Here, instead of me trying to explain it...

Perhaps "under the Utilities menu, below Xtensions" may have been a better way of putting it... or not... oh well. :p

Attached Files:

8. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

lets compare pictures...

don't tell me your talking about Quark 5?!!

i've only got version 4, anyway, heres a shot of my utilities menu in Quark.

and sorry about the watermark. i had to use a Screenshot Pro demo.
    and on the subject of screenshots, i thought that OS X could take screenshots all by itself. it's cmd+shift+3 to capture the whole screen and cmd+shift+4 to capture a selection isn't it? i tried it and nothing came up on my desktop. do you have to wait awhile for the shot to appear on your desktop or something? i'm using all the right keys aren't i?

doh!!!:mad: forgot the image, hold on.

9. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

sorry, here it is.

Attached Files:

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hm, strange. Nope, I'm using 4.1 too...

I tried to do cmd+shift+4 also when I took the screenshot, but it didn't work, so I had to do cmd+shift+3 and crop it down in Photoshop. When you do a screenshot in classic it saves it via the old method (pict format) in the root of your hard drive (or OS 9 partition, in my case).

I dunno what to tell you, then... sorry! :(

11. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911