QuarkXPress / PowerBook advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AdmittedPCuser, Jan 12, 2005.

1. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

Jan 12, 2005
    Does anybody have any experience running QuarkXPress (pref v6) on a PowerBook with a 1.33GHz G4? I'm planning on buying a PowerBook later this month (once iLife '05 is released with the hope of the minor hardware upgrades) and I just wanted to get some opinions. I'm also gonna be doing a bit of Photoshop and Illustrator work (basically the PowerBook will be used for desktop publishing) and from what I've read, a 1.33 G4 with enough ram (768mb?) should be fine.

Anyone running this config?

Thanks in advance,

Recovering Dellaholic
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Unless you run Quark 5 in Classic :eek: you will have no choice but to run ver 6.x on your Powerbook... I would up the RAM to at least 1gb, 1.5 ideally...

We have a spare 733mhz G4 (for temps) running it at work and that is OK, not brilliant but acceptable.

I wouldn't recommend using 6.5's QuarkVista Xtension on it... but then it's complete rubbish anyway... the new PS import filter has been released but we haven't bothered. If I want to import a layered file (rare), then I can use a layered TIFF anyway...

You may find you can improve the performance of it by adjusting the image display preferences within Quark, forgoing the 32bit preview and going for 8 or 16 bit instead. There are a few other options for speeding up the redraw...

Also, remember that Quark 6 needs activating so that it either must be your own copy or the 2nd licence of someone elses... (2 installations possible) Otherwise, it will revert to demo mode within a short space of time.

One of the beauties of the old Quark (4 & 3.x) was the ability to run it on virtually anything but not so now...
  3. AdmittedPCuser thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2005
    thanks for the info Blue... good tip regarding the display preferences, I wasn't aware of that.
  4. krisjon macrumors regular

Feb 29, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I run this exact setup (along with heavy photoshop/illustrator) with 1.5 gig RAM and it works just fine, although Quark as a program is still buggy. The updates have only done so much and I still run into the occasional error, but then again, the last really stable version of Quark was 3.32...I'm used to it.

I also run InDesign and have been using it more and more. The only time I use Quark now is if a printing house or publication I'm working with only accepts Quark files. It's taken a few years, but InDesign really outshines Quark in every way. Something to consider unless you have to have Quark.

Anyway, like it was said before, just throw at least a gig of RAM in your machine and you'll be fine.
  5. AdmittedPCuser thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks for the info... So it sounds like the recommendation here is to get at least a gig of ram. Probably good advice.

Interesting to hear about InDesign. I've had the chance to play around with it a few times and I'm always hearing good things. I guess the integration with PS and Illus is a benefit as well. I may have to seriously look into it.

Thanks again for the feedback.