QuarkXPress printing problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse525, Dec 11, 2004.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I have a strange problem and I can't figure it out. By the way it happens with any document I try to print in this way.

If I have a Quark layout that has (.tif, .jpg, etc.) and I print it out they print out just fine BUT if I import an .EPS file from Illustrator and print it out, it comes out like crap. Now, that same .EPS file printed from Illustrator prints real nice. Does anyone have a clue what the problem can be.

I'm using QuarkXPress 6.0 and I'm printing to a Canon i950.

~e

2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

what do you mean crap?

i guess its a postscript problem.

3. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Crap as in not crisp and clean like it's suppose to output. When I print the same ".eps" from Illustrator, the ".eps" prints fine but the same one outputed from Quark comes out like crap or rather somewhat jagged. It must be a postscript problem from Quark but why does it print from from Illustrator.

~e

4. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

native program.. it will kinda do all the work for the printer - where quark expects the printer to do the work.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You need a software RIP for your printer.

Or make a PDF with all fonts/images embedded: that'll print OK.

6. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

sounds good, should work.

7. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

yeah...i've been doing the PDF thing to get around the problem but you'd think Quark would be able to accomplish this, oh well. Thanks for help!

Oh, does anyone recommend a good inexpensve rip software? Or is it not even worth it?

~e

8. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

The problem is that .eps files are "Postscript" language, if you try to print to an inkjet printer that does not have a postscript card in it they (the .eps files) will print like crap. Try the PDF method first if this doesn't work then open the .eps files in Photoshop to "rasterize" them and save as tiff and put back into Quark.
    My other suggestion would to see if you can get a postscript card for the printer. The problem has nothing to do with Quark.