Quartz 2D Extreme disabled by default

Discussion in 'macOS' started by broken_keyboard, May 6, 2005.

1. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I just read on ThinkSecret that Quartz 2D Extreme is disabled by default in Tiger. http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0505q310q.html

This is major. It means Tiger has a whole lot of graphics performance that is hidden.

You can enable it by installing the developer tools and running the program /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Quartz Debug. It is in the Tools menu.

I have an NVidia 6800, and it makes a big difference when e.g. resizing a Quicktime window.

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

There's already a couple threads on this. There's also a way of turning this feature on without Quartz debug:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES

^^ one line in terminal.

3. broken_keyboard thread starter macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

4. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I am sure this all imaginary...but it appears as if my iMac is coping a lot better all round. 720p HD H.264 material plays at the full 24fps and even 1080p averages at 13-14fps. I am very impressed, it also appears as if resizing windows, especially in Safari, is a lot smoother and quicker. I copied and pasted that in Terminal, how can i tell if it went through or if Quartz 2 is enabled?
    thanks

5. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

As a matter of interest, in this Quartz Debug app, the option to enable Quartz 2d Extreme isn't available to me. I was under the impression that QE enabled cards would also have Q2DE available - is anyone able to fill me in? (My card is the Radeon Mobility 9200 with 32MB).

Ta. :)

Attached Files:

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I think the Q2DE has a higher requirement than than QE, around pixel shaders. Essentialy its the same as the core image requirement, so an iBook doesn't quite have it.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Tiger's going to get definitely faster and faster as Apple works to iron out the remaining bugs in Quartz 2D Extreme. Could we see it as soon as 10.4.1? I hope so. I might just have to upgrade my dual G5's 5200fx video card to a Nvidia 6800.

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

In terminal:

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled

Should return a "1". Note, you don't need sudo to read defaults.

9. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Yup got feedback of 1 so it is all enabled, cheers. It is quite exciting about how Tiger will be further enhanced and optimized, such as Panther went through till .3.9. Looking forward till 10.4.5 onwards and later versions of Quicktime and even perhaps Open GL 2.0, should be awesome. All this before Longhorn has reached a release worthy stage

10. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Hm that's interesting!

What's the low down on Quartz 2D Extreme? How does it differ from Quartz Extreme? I've just checked on my system and it's off. Don't think I dare turn it on, Apple must think it's too buggy to enable by default and I don't want to hose my freshly installed Tiger.

11. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The other MR thread has a good description of the QE/Q2DE distinctions.

13. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Could you point me in the right direction please? A search for QE and Quartz 2D didn't turn up anything useful.

Cheers,

14. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

15. ksz macrumors 68000

Brilliant article on arstechnica about Quartz 2D Extreme. Summary:

Other APIs wanting to "get in on the GPU gravy train" are CoreImage and CoreVideo. A brief statement about CoreVideo and Quicktime 7:

Nice to see Mac OS increasingly exploiting the potential of powerful GPUs.

16. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

The difference that core image and core video makes is amazing.

Even my poor little Rev A PB with a 1.25GHz G4 and 32MB 9600 is playing 720p h.264 at 12-18 FPS.

17. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I noticed that when I quit the Quartz Debug app, it disables Quartz 2D Extreme, how do I turn it on permanently?

18. makey macrumors member

My iBook does not support it. So I do not care if it off by default or not.

19. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You could start by reading the thread.