Quartz Composer for dual video?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by tortex, Jun 14, 2013.

1. macrumors member

May 21, 2009

I have a need to run two videos, in sync (both exactly the same number of frames) across two monitors (one on the laptops main monitor, the second on a connected projector). Ideally I'd want a preset executable that I can launch and the videos will play, nice and simple as I have no set up time (this is for a presentation).

I was thinking Quartz would be best for this, but as my Mac has died and I have no access to one until 3 days before the gig (shipping time) I thought I'd get a head start on research.

Any thoughts?

2. ytk
    macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2010
    You can start multiple videos simultaneously in Quicktime Player (7 or X). Just load up all the videos and press cmd-return.
  3. macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2010
    Well, ytk seems to give the most simple and that fore stable solution. If you need anyway quartz composer (for example, a HD video of half an hour for 3 screens = 30gb won't run smoothly on QT, but does on QC, for it is the most powerful player that can be), is also simple.
    You need, I think, as easiest solution two compositions with a billboard, drag the videos into the editor (so you have the player module with the right path immediately), and give both a trigger with the same keyboard key. That's it. In the gig put them both a fullscreen viewer and trigger them with the key. To make one comp taking both screens should be possible, but I don't know now how.